Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Oil Pastels vs Shiva Paintsticks

Blog Entries
    I have some solid black fabric that I want to add some color to to get a bit of dimension in a wall hanging I'm making. Nobody local has Shiva Paintsticks I just drove around to the AC Moore and Joanne's -the only local hobby stores in town), so before I put this project aside and order them online, I was wondering if anyone knew if oil pastels (which I DO have) will work the same/similar as the paint sticks?

This piece will not be washed, but I probably want some way to set the colors so it won't "bleed" onto another quilt placed on top of it (at a show, for example)

Advice, anyone?

Maybe try a sample and see?

Blog Entries
    i've used oil pastel, set the color with the iron. try yours on a scrap to see if they work on your fabric.

Kas
    I would think the oil pastels would cause a dark halo of oil around what you have drawn, but I am not sure. I have seen that on paper before. Maybe it depends on the quality of the pastels.

Blog Entries
    Try it on a scrap, just for kicks, spray starch another fabric and let dry and try it on that too. I wonder if the starch will help soak up some of the oil? :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    The fabric is solid black with fusible web on the back. I tried some, and the heat setting removes a lot of pigment, but does yield acceptable results. I want just a "hint" of color to highlight the quilting (which is being lost on the black fabric).