Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
oiling/servicing machine >

oiling/servicing machine

oiling/servicing machine

Old 07-04-2014, 01:23 PM

I don't sew on anything newer than a 1958 machine. None of my machines have ever been to a shop, at least since I have owned them. I oil the Singer 301 quite often, but I am afraid that the Pfaff 130 is much less frequent. I use them about the same amount. The FW doesn't get much use. None of them ever complain.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:50 PM

As anyone who has an older machine knows, oiling and cleaning are fairly easy to do. In recent years, many manufacturers - instead of providing instruction on how to do it - have sealed the machines so you cannot do it - certainly not easily.
I have a Brother 1500S, I oil and clean routinely - oil every 6 weeks to 2 months, clean when I seen it getting dirty. Likewise with my old Kenmore which is even easier to get into (haven't had it "serviced" in the 42 years since I bought it) My Viking I can clean - although it is harder to get to many parts. I use a vacuum cleaner every once in awhile. They say it is "self-lubricating" and I take their word for it. I have paid 100 dollars for this kind of "servicing" only to note, that they have not done all that good a job - and it is a 5 minute job. . .
Were I to buy a new machine today, I would take into consideration whether you can clean it and oil it yourself. If not, be sure to add the cost of yearly cleaning and oiling to the tab.
That is one reason I bought the Brother which is my work horse.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:14 PM

I have a Bernina 1031, its got a double case, takes 16 screws before you find the guts of the machine. Grrrr!!!
So that one goes the retired Bernina tech every 2 years, he does a great job and its only $70, he needs to give some TLC to my DD's 930. All of the other machines are much older than I am, so I can take care of servicing them.
The Viking 875 is computerized, so it get sent away to AZ every 2 years for a full servicing. I wish there was a local Viking dealer closer. I worry that UPS will manage to break or lose my machine.
Sharon
Old 07-07-2014, 03:49 PM

I clean and oil my Baby lock with each bobbin change and take it in once a year for its yearly check up to make sure everything is in good working order. Paid way to much not to take care of her.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Craftnut View Post
I have a Brother computerized machine and I have only had it serviced one time in probably 20 years. You have to be careful with computerized machines because the boards can be easily damaged. As ckcowl said, follow the instructions in your user manual. If your machine is still under warranty you can void it by opening it up. If it is older and out of warranty, and if you can carefully take off the outer cover, cleaning out the gunk and putting a drop of oil on the gears will keep it in good running order.
Be careful oiling gears. If they are plastic, over time the oil can soften the plastic.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:39 PM

I own about 15 machines. Only 2 are computerized. For those, I take them in every 2-3 years for service. I don't sew on them that often and since they are Vikings, I don't oil them. For all the other machines, I oil, grease, and repair all of them. I like using the older machines the best..... just love the gentle click click of the motors or feel the smooth workings of the hand cranks and treadles.