Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, let's be honest

Ok, let's be honest

Let's be honest, does everyone sew straight? Gee, maybe it is just me! Ok, I have firgued out to slow down and not hurry that helps. Sewing over straight pins does take me off track so I try to stop take the pins out. I still have to be very careful..is it just me? I would like to hear from you on this.

Haha, nope! I'm pretty good about it, but honestly, no one's perfect enough to sew straight every time. I'm just happy if it comes out around a quarter of an inch!

Blog Entries
    Straight...hhhmmmm... you do realize that straight is all relative don't you ? LOL It was straight when I started then it hit a curve, but is now straight for that curve - is that what you mean- if so well then heck yea I sew straight otherwise uuuhhhhh well.... uuuhhh nope But I can usually make it work , does that count ????
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Banned
    you hit the nail (rather pin) on the head when you said "slow down" Fast and speed is the grimlin in quiltmaking.
    Also, have you noticed how the feed dogs grab the fabric at the end of the seam and veer to left making the seam at a critical point smaller. Or is it to the right....
    I took a class from a very fine quilter who does small quilts. The thing I noticed watching her was how slow she goes and used something to help guide the seam. I tried it and it works. There are certainly some long seams that you can go faster but mostly just slow the dumb machine down and sew straighter.

slow and steady wins the race

Perhaps that is the attraction of making the serger quilts. It is easier to sew fast and straight with the serger.

I cut and sew just fine - straight as can be - but all my patterns and rulers are veering to the right! Sometimes they are off by a quarter inch or more! I wonder if I can get my money back?
    Kookie (Patti)

Life is Good

http://www.catskillcrafts.com

HaHaHa! That's my problem too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooklabell View Post
    I cut and sew just fine - straight as can be - but all my patterns and rulers are veering to the right! Sometimes they are off by a quarter inch or more! I wonder if I can get my money back?

Amazing my squares come out great! Today I have been sewing on the newer machine,I usuallysew on my old vintage singer, it is heavier and seems to hold the fabric and control my urge to wonder..... guess that will be my story anyway.

I only sew fast when its really long straight seams. I prefer a nice steady moderate pace, and I get better results.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast