Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Is it ok not to remove selvages from backing if it will end up inside the binding?

That sounds like very good advice. Good thinking!
    Quote Originally Posted by nanibi View Post
    If you have to use the selvedge, you might try snipping into it every inch or 2 after you've sewn the first side of the binding on. It's more tightly woven and often shrinks up more.
    You have brains in your head.
    You have feet in your shoes.
    You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
    You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go. (Dr. Seuss)

Quote Originally Posted by slicksister View Post
    Meh, I've done it. Not a big deal.
    I agree -- I have washed hundreds of fabric pieces and none of the selvages have ever drawn up. My only problem with current selvages is the print down the edges and the holes that run along the edges. (We measured one selvage at our church quilting and it was over an inch deep!! What a waste!) For batiks with the selvage the same color as the fabric I have used it frequently when I need that little extra.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for all that input ladies! I am quilting it myself and will probably be SITD. I do have a small overhang but I am expecting to eat it up during quilting. I've decided to leave the selvages on and HOPE I can cut them off after quilting. The top can't be trimmed. It has no borders as it is (which is also new for me and in fact I wish I could add a border, but I won't because I don't want to piece the back) I need to finish it and not fuss with it any more!!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4