Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby Blanket -  remove selvages or not >

Baby Blanket - remove selvages or not

Baby Blanket - remove selvages or not

Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Banned

Default Baby Blanket - remove selvages or not

I am going to make a baby blanket using really thick and snuggly minky on one side and a 100% cotton chevron on the other. It will only be bound - not quilted. It is about 45 X 45. Very basic - sew the front and back together and bind. Do I need to remove selvages or not. They would be under the binding.

What do you think?

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:20 AM

i think my home ec teacher said to always remove the selvages because when the fabric is washed, the tighter weave from the mill causes distortion across the cloth if not removed. since you're going to bind it anyway. i would take them off to prevent any weird twisting or ickiness.

aileen
Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 AM

I would think you would have to tie it if you aren't going to quilt it. Personally I would get rid of the selvages.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Banned

Yes remove. It will shrink differently.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

I agree with AriaJo that you will probably want to tie the quilt if it's not quilted. 45x45 is a large area for the top and back of the quilt not to be tied together somehow. And definitely take off the selvages to avoid distortion after washing.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

I think with the Minky, I would leave the selvages on. It isn't going to shrink and once you cut Minky, it tends to make Minky snow.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I think with the Minky, I would leave the selvages on. It isn't going to shrink and once you cut Minky, it tends to make Minky snow.
I agree with Tartan on the Minky. My comment was only meant for the cotton.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:18 AM

I made a baby blanket with minkee and cotton, I cut selvages off and I did a minimal amount of quilting just to keep the two pieces of fabric together.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Absolutely remove selvages, it does make a difference especially with baby binkies that get washed a bunch. Even minkie needs to be cut off its anchor ot you will be hating life if and when you quilt with it. I have made over 20 baby quilts with minkie and other microfiber materials now and you have a few options for the cutting and edging. The first time you cut this stuff you wonder of the fluff will ever stop being found. Yes it does stop snowing. First option is to just cut and sew or, you can lay down a overlock stitch or zig zag down on your machine or serger of you are super worried. I tend to run a three thread around the edges just to assure myself, but if you tear apart a microfiber blanket you will see that they do not always do this step.

Also, the cheapset place for minkie and soft cuddly microfibers is...... At department store already made into blankets! I scope out kohls, sears, big lots, tj maxx, target, etc and find good colors and stash them. perfect sizes for baby and crib. Some even have darling prints. Most came in under 12.00.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:36 AM

unless you are making a string quilt using selvages, you should always cut them off... Stillclock is right on the money! You will NOT be happy with the distortion you will see...