View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Trippgal

Absolutely remove selvages, it does make a difference especially with baby binkies that get washed a bunch. Even minkie needs to be cut off its anchor ot you will be hating life if and when you quilt with it. I have made over 20 baby quilts with minkie and other microfiber materials now and you have a few options for the cutting and edging. The first time you cut this stuff you wonder of the fluff will ever stop being found. Yes it does stop snowing. First option is to just cut and sew or, you can lay down a overlock stitch or zig zag down on your machine or serger of you are super worried. I tend to run a three thread around the edges just to assure myself, but if you tear apart a microfiber blanket you will see that they do not always do this step.

Also, the cheapset place for minkie and soft cuddly microfibers is...... At department store already made into blankets! I scope out kohls, sears, big lots, tj maxx, target, etc and find good colors and stash them. perfect sizes for baby and crib. Some even have darling prints. Most came in under 12.00.