Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: ok, stupid question, but cant think right now Ohio Star

if I take 2 5" squares and draw a line down from corner to corner, sew on both sides of the line and cut down the line, then open both pieces, draw a line from corner to corner again, lay them on top of each other and sew on both sides of line again and cut on the line, will I end up with the "points" piece of an ohio star? I have made 3 dozen or so quilts and just have had too much candy this morning to be able to think. These Ohio star blocks that I want to do will be 2 color only

I don't know the answer, but I first read it as 2.5" squares and thought you would end up some really small points!

Yes that is the points for the ohio star. they are hour glass like. To be sure you could look at Quilterscache. they have all sorts of blocks. http://www.quilterscache.com/O/OhioStarBlock.html

I think it might work. My sugar addled brain is coming up with the same picture.

I think it depends upon which type of Ohio Star you want to make. One type has four flying geese all facing inward around a central square and another type has eight QST's arranged around the central square. There might be other types too. Do you have a picture of the block you want to make? :)

thank you ladies,

Don't cut them apart after the first sewing down the diagonal. Cut on the opposite diagonal to the one you've sewn down first and then cut on the line you drew. You'll have mirrored pairs that way and less sewing.

I have also drawn both diagonals and sewn to the center--stopped and moved 1/4" to the other side of the line and continued to the corner. Turned the block and done the same thing again to get matching instead of mirrored pairs. For an Ohio Star--either way will work but the mirrored version is fewer steps and less sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    Don't cut them apart after the first sewing down the diagonal. Cut on the opposite diagonal to the one you've sewn down first and then cut on the line you drew. You'll have mirrored pairs that way and less sewing.

I have also drawn both diagonals and sewn to the center--stopped and moved 1/4" to the other side of the line and continued to the corner. Turned the block and done the same thing again to get matching instead of mirrored pairs. For an Ohio Star--either way will work but the mirrored version is fewer steps and less sewing.
    good tips thank you

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning

May have to try this!

Blog Entries
    yes, that is the way I do them