Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This Old House makes a mobile kitchen island >

This Old House makes a mobile kitchen island

This Old House makes a mobile kitchen island

Old 04-05-2014, 01:48 PM

Default This Old House makes a mobile kitchen island

And I am thinking cutting table! They used 2 base kitchen cabinets. Put them back to back. Pretty sweet!

sandy
Old 04-05-2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
And I am thinking cutting table! They used 2 base kitchen cabinets. Put them back to back. Pretty sweet!

sandy
I didn't see it, but if you added fold down ends you could have a huge cutting surface.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:00 PM

Sounds like a good idea.

Dina
Old 04-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

great idea. i reuse kitchen cabinets from my renovated kitchens for all sorts of other storage. and for cutting.... i have two dressers connected back to back with a [kitchen counter type] laminate cover over both. i have my largest cutting mat on one side and a table top ironing board on the other. for me, the surface should be larger than the mat in order to set your fabrics, rulers, cutters, etc while you are working with them. i use that entire surface
Old 04-05-2014, 02:32 PM

You can overhang the countertop ~10" to make it larger. That's what my DH is doing for my cutting table with the cabinet I bought.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I have a set of kitchen cabinets - uppers and lowers in my sewing room. I have them on the long wall across from two big closets. I have a 90" countertop on the base cabinets. Really comes in handy.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cam's gram View Post
You can overhang the countertop ~10" to make it larger. That's what my DH is doing for my cutting table with the cabinet I bought.
They did that too. Used 30" wide cabinets and put 26" wide counter top on it. Added casters.
sandy
Old 04-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

I bought two short bookcases from Staples on sale - about $17 each. I laid a solid core 36" wide door on top, not attached at all, just placed some pieces of felt between the door and the bookcases to keep from marring the surfaces. It made a wonderful cutting surface, large and just the right height. I can store things in the bookcases and everything comes apart very easily if necessary.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:06 PM

We had an island made for our sewing room. Four cabinets covered with a counter top and on rollers. It makes an awesome cutting surface, and there is storage underneath. I have a 60 by 36 cutting mat on it. I also made an ironing surface out of a piece of flooring that I can put up to press or move out of the way when I need to cut.

I keep wanting to post pictures of everything, but I can't get it all cleaned up enough to take decent pictures.

Darren
Old 04-06-2014, 07:19 AM

It is a wonderful idea if 36" height is your ideal cutting height. Otherwise go for wall cabinets since they come in 24", 30", 36", and 42" heights and shorter. (Yes, I used to design kitchens) However cabinets from the big box stores can become very pricey very fast and are out of my budget. I suggest checking out places like Habitat for Humanity resale stores if you are on a limited budget. I've known people to buy a brand new house and immediately rip out the kitchen because they don't like the style of cabinet. These cabinets end up at Resale stores or on Craigslist.