Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old School Quilting >

Old School Quilting

Old School Quilting

Old 08-11-2011, 03:35 PM

Thanks much. saved to watch later.

I, too, was first a scissors and homemade template user,...gonna really listen to her.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:01 PM

Great, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:45 PM

I have been quilting for over 40 years. I use the double strands of thread because it holds the fabric together better and longer. This is especially good for children's quilting...
~~~
Originally Posted by wvhill22
that was great. makes me want to go back to hand quilting. Why was her thread doubled. Is that the normal way to hand quilt? I have always used single thread
Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by miholmes
Okay so I watched this video this afternoon, and was kinda FLOORED and how this woman quilted. Mind you this film was done back in 1979.

But it was interesting watching her cut out her fabric with SCISSORS with a homeade template, and then sew it with her Coats & Clark thread, and then quilt it by hand on her homemade frame.

To me it was really nice to see what someone could do without all of the gadgets and gizmos, and she turned out BEAUTIFUL quilts!

Give it a watch if you think it will interest you.

http://www.folkstreams.net/film,104
mike, thank you for directing me to this site. i always enjoy your comments on this board. we live so far apart i will never get to meet you. my husband and i are retired and i make alot of quilts. we live in oklahoma. am trying to get ready for a festival and have gotten so behind on reading my newsletters from the quilting board but trying to get caught up. i really enjoyed the film and watched it twice. again, thanks. i can remember my mom quilting and the frames handing from the ceiling on strings. she would roll over in her grave if she knew of all the gadgets we 'have to have' today to quilt. did you notice how polite and loving the lady behaved to all the kids and grandkids and strangers who stopped at the house because of the 'quilts' sign out front? even if she was in the middle of fixing dinner, she always took time to acknowledge their presence. i miss this universal kindness...some people are sooooo mean. can you imagine what neighbors would do today if we put a 'quilt' sign out front on our property? we'd end up in jail before the sun set. thank y ou, mike, and it has been nice to visit with you. johnnye
Old 10-02-2011, 03:55 AM

I enjoyed the video so very much...thanks for posting the link to it:)
Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 AM

could get get with the link
Old 08-07-2013, 07:46 AM

That's how I learned to quilt. Our quilting frame was suspended by 4 eye bolts from the ceiling and when not in use was rolled up toward the ceiling by the 4 cotton ropes it hung from. She also used a cardboard templates to cut her quilt pieces, then used another cardboard template to draw the quilting designs with a #2 pencil as other women would come over and quilt and visit with her. I really do miss those days
Old 08-10-2013, 05:10 AM

Very interesting, thank you