Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: old school quilting

Blog Entries

Question old school quilting

first would like to say not sure should post here so if it is wrong place please excuse I was on u tube
    looked at viedo on nine patch quilting really like it it was apple turn over tv I am going to try bit have question they do a sandwich and quilt on a hand crank machine singer my machine is a singer 221
    and i would like to do as a quilt as you go but they do the binding on the square does any one have a site where could learn how to join the squares maybe you could go to u tube type in old school quilting
    take a look tell me what you think thanks
    Evelyn

Banned
    I am not sure what you are asking. Most confusing.

Hmmm, not sure what you are asking

She wants to know if there is a way to do quilt as you go for a nine patch block.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    GourmetQuilter has a wonderful youtube video on quilt as you go method. (actually she has 2) One is for making the block and while she doesn't use the 9-patch, you can use ANY block you want. The second is how to put the blocks together with sashing. I plan to use her tute.

Blog Entries
    thanks yes i do want to know how to join block in the quilt as you go but i want to use the old school method
    i found on line at the u tube apple turn over place I am just learning and do not use rotary cutter found a singer 221
    that does good sewing of squares is great have not tried to quilt, on it the tut I looked at does the whole square quilt
    and all but they put the binding on the square and for whole quilt just do not think you would do that will look at the one you suggest for that thanks
    Last edited by chergram; 08-09-2013 at 03:55 AM.
    Evelyn

Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    I am not sure what you are asking. Most confusing.
    And I am even more confused after the 2nd post.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I am more confused, too. It would help if you would put in some periods to make your post more readable.

Can you send us a link to the YouTube video you are talking about? The Singer 221 is a great machine for piecing, and you can also quilt your blocks with it.

If you will just take it one step at a time as you follow the tutorial I think you will do just fine!

There are many styles of quilt as you go. So if one doesn't feel comfortable to you, try a different method until you find " the one " that works best for you.

I'm currently in the process of determining which one I like best. Have not reached a conclusion yet.

Blog Entries
    do a search in Yahoo for Quilt as you Go and you will find lots of tutorials and videos on that. making nine patch blocks can be done in a strip method or just cutting squares and sewing those together. it really should be easy but pictures do help. good luck!!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    look up Ditters string quilt, its a quilt as you go . you could use that with any blocks
    esther

Banned
    If we are all confused ...well most are... How can anyone answer the question with any certainty of giving the right answer. the poster has not yet answered, to my satisfaction, what "old school" is other than cutting with scissors and using an older sewing machine.

I'm not sure, but I think she's found a tutorial for a QAYG, but wants to do it old school... IE, not QAYG. It reads at first glance like the tutorial shows a binding around each block, but she doesn't think that's right for the non-QAYG method.

Edit: The more I read the questions, the more I'm not sure I know what she's asking, either.

Quote Originally Posted by chergram View Post
    thanks yes i do want to know how to join block in the quilt as you go but i want to use the old school method
    i found on line at the u tube apple turn over place I am just learning and do not use rotary cutter found a singer 221
    that does good sewing of squares is great have not tried to quilt, on it the tut I looked at does the whole square quilt
    and all but they put the binding on the square and for whole quilt just do not think you would do that will look at the one you suggest for that thanks
    .Please define "old school". IMO, old school would be piecing by hand.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

here is the video I think she is talking about pretty cool.............. http://appleturnover.tv/homemade/201...ng-squares.php

Blog Entries
    No the binding will not go around each block. Make the quilt top as large as you want and then layer and quilt it, then put on the binding. OR make each block, layer it and quilt as you go, sew them together and then put the binding on the whole quilt top to finish it. I think that is what you are asking. Cute video. Just go to Google and search for old school quilt. I don't think I would ever get it done with a hand crank sewing machine though. :-)

You need to stop and use punctuation, to be understood. At least throw in a few periods. No, you are not in school but your question appears to be "texting" which is hard to understand with such a complicated (multi-part) question.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Just watched that video from appleturnover...oh please! That music was so annoying first of all, and using a hand crank sewing machine! Really how many of us do quilting like that? All for a potholder! Could think of better ways to spend my time...notice the iron...no cord? Did she heat that on a coal burning stove? And she sewed over pins at the last when she was ending the binding.......really now. Some people will do anything to get their 15 minutes of fame. Whomever was the first to post about this method, I hope, does not think this is how it is done....hope she finds more up to date info on utube!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Just watched that video from appleturnover...oh please! That music was so annoying first of all, and using a hand crank sewing machine! Really how many of us do quilting like that? All for a potholder! Could think of better ways to spend my time...notice the iron...no cord? Did she heat that on a coal burning stove? And she sewed over pins at the last when she was ending the binding.......really now. Some people will do anything to get their 15 minutes of fame. Whomever was the first to post about this method, I hope, does not think this is how it is done....hope she finds more up to date info on utube!!!!
    Geri B you are so funny. At first I also thought that there wasn't a cord for the iron and wondered if she warmed it on top of the stove, but then I did see the cord coming out of the middle of the base of the iron. The base is black as well as the cord. I agree, the music was very irritating, so I just muted it, but then I had to fast forward it because it was just too slow-going.
    Have a blessed day.

Linda

What an awful video! That annoying gramaphone for 15 minutes... like the rest of you I muted it and fast forwarded. The binding was a hot mess... Please, chergram, find another video to follow. Anything by the Missouri Star Quilting Company would give you a lot better videos to learn from. Their techniques are simple and quick, too.

And please use PUNCTUATION when you post! People get really cranky when you don't and you will only be soliciting mean comments! Punctuate.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I can't even open the video, so can't see how bad it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol34446 View Post
    I can't even open the video, so can't see how bad it is.

Consider yourself lucky...it is like missing an earache!

A little kindness here, please. Chergram's writing is not what you are used to reading, but read it a little more slowly, mentally add in pauses (punctuation) and try to read a little between the lines. I get distracted by the spelling errors and grammar in posts, but I am not here to grade writing. She is asking for help, and doesn't need criticism for her writing skills.
    Chergram, there are many wonderful videos on the internet. You will figure it out. If you can go to a quilt store, I am sure you can find people to help you. Keep on posting your questions, we are here to learn and share.

Blog Entries
    What is apple turn over tv? I'm really curious.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    so true...now why didn't i think of muting it. I did fast forward it...boring...
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Consider yourself lucky...it is like missing an earache!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast