Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oops.  I made a huge mistake. >

Oops. I made a huge mistake.

Oops. I made a huge mistake.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 AM

I just had to take out a strip between my French Braid quilt because I cut the strip 2 1/2 inches too long!!!! It was so ripply and I didn't notice until I took to the LA person. It was finished so I had all my borders on also! I knew I would never be happy with it that way so came home, took out all 4 seams, re-measured and cut to CORRECT length and sewed it back into place. It is flat now, thank goodness!!!! You aren't alone in making errors!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:09 AM

It's not a mistake- it's a design opportunity! And you are not alone. I bought enough fabric to back a baby quilt. I didn't want to make a creative back with pieces from the front, i just wanted to seam it and be done. I bought 2 lengths. In my haste or absentmindedness, i cut it too short! So I had to make a creative back with pieces from the front. But guess what? I had enough of that backing to make another creative back for another baby quilt. Sometimes it turns out even better. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:14 AM

It's OK...we have all been there and sympathize! My latest oops was when I was sewing sashing strips to the sides of my blocks before assembling. Got each one done and then realized I shouldn't have put them on BOTH sides of the blocks. Yikes!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:16 AM

You have my sympathy. Hope the fix goes quickly.

Dina
Old 01-26-2013, 03:09 PM

Yup, just like everyone else - just when I think I've made every mistake there is, up pops another one!! Grrrr.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:05 PM

At least it wasn't quilted!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM

I have been there and think about leaving the mistake and wake up the next day and cannot leave it so then I have to take it all apart. Wasted time I know what you mean. Sorry for you!!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by grammysharon View Post
I just had to take out a strip between my French Braid quilt because I cut the strip 2 1/2 inches too long!!!! It was so ripply and I didn't notice until I took to the LA person. It was finished so I had all my borders on also! I knew I would never be happy with it that way so came home, took out all 4 seams, re-measured and cut to CORRECT length and sewed it back into place. It is flat now, thank goodness!!!! You aren't alone in making errors!!!!!!
Grammysharon, I did just what you did but I walked away from it til the next morn. when I was in a better mood. I just removed the 2 borders, put a sashing in, then cut new borders.
I've made mistakes in the past but usually spot them sooner than this one.
I told a fellow quilting friend what I did to fix it & she just laughed & laughed at me. She said "I knew you would. You're such a true quilter that you couldn't have left it the way it was". She was so right. I was tempted to leave it the way it was but I would have stewed & stewed about it then never would have cared for that quilt.
Pat
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 AM

At least you caught it before it was quilted and bound.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:55 AM

So sorry for the problem. I guess dealing with the problems makes us stronger....and more careful next time! Here's hoping the fix goes well for you!