Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oops, tightened it a bit too much! >

Oops, tightened it a bit too much!

Oops, tightened it a bit too much!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:06 PM

Default Oops, tightened it a bit too much!

Guess what? A thumb screw, is called a thumb screw because you're supposed to tighten it with your fingers (and thumb).
My finger strength isn't the best, and I find the little sewing machine screwdrivers really hard to use, SOOO, I've been using a regular screwdriver to tighten the screw that holds the pressor foot in place.
Today, I snapped it off. Luckily I was able to get the threaded part out of the post.
When I went to the dealer, she told me NEVER to use a screw driver to tighten that screw. Sorry, that's not going to happen. When I finger tighten it, it loosens and I've broken needles that way. (Um, then why is there a slot for a screwdriver????)
But, I will be more careful
It was a less that $10 fix, thankfully.
I still don't like wobbly feet though.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:34 PM

Then why do they put little screwdrivers in their accessories pack? LOL My manuals do recommend not over-tightening but the vibrations of the machine will loosen the foot screw and needle screw over time.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 PM

I did this very same thing, only by tightening the needle screw too hard. I have arthritis and I used a screwdriver. Not a good idea.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:13 PM

Try using a penny instead of a screwdriver. You can still tighten it up well enough, but you can't put as much "torque" on a penny as you can on a screwdriver, so that should avoid over-tightening. If a penny isn't big enough for you to use, try using a metal disk (or any shape made of metal) that will fit into the slot. Again, you won't have that screwdriver end to really twist down on, but it certainly should tighten things well enough to prevent a needle falling out. I've been using a penny, and I've never had a needle fall off, or broken any machine parts. Just a thought!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:29 AM

OH NO , your to supposed to use a screwdriver???? I had no idea, I got so tired of fighting with the little triangle flathead I switched to a screwdriver. Guess that will be going back into DH tool bag.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:45 AM

I have fairly good hand strength and still feel that it comes undone too easily without a little help with a screwdriver. I just try and be really careful when I do it. Good info though. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by coldquilter View Post
I have fairly good hand strength and still feel that it comes undone too easily without a little help with a screwdriver. I just try and be really careful when I do it. Good info though. Thanks.
I agree.....