Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Open seams and stitch in the ditch?

IMHO pressing 1/4" seams open is PITA. I only do it where I absolutely have to reduce bulk. To answer your question: yes you can SITD over an open seam, but why not take this opportunity to try a serpentine or other decorative stitch with some wiggle in it?
    Shirley in Arizona

Blog Entries
    I caved to the 'seams open' pressure once and felt very funky about it the whole time. I decided to never do that again (unless it's where there's a ton of seams coming together or something). I used to be a garment sewer so I was used to pressing open but now I am used to pressing to the side.

I was taught that if you leave the seams open, your batting can beard.
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

Quote Originally Posted by gale View Post
    but that's not "in the ditch".

Maybe we should designate a new stitch: SNTD -- for Stitch Near the Ditch. I don't stitch IN the ditch either but near it.....because I don't care if the stitching shows, and sometimes want it to.

I do quite a few modern quilts, and the directions often say to press seams open. I've never had my LAQer complain, and the quilts have always turned out beautifully. I've never done SITD on them. The one I quilted myself called for stitching 1/4" from the seams. I loved the results.

Yes, you can press the seams open and stitch in the ditch. Leah Day says use smaller stitch length and go for it. It does work. I have also read that pressing them to the side was done because of hand piecing.
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    LIFE IS ABOUT USING THE WHOLE BOX OF CRAYONS.

Quote Originally Posted by jmckenzie View Post
    I don't understand why people are opening the seams? In some situations it may be necessary but it's weaker and looks bad because the thread shows. You should see them on the long arm...what a mess! Some use white thread throughout the quilt. Yes...then you have fun coloring all your thread so it doesn't show which may also further weaken the thread.
    I have never had anything but compliments on my quilts by those who Long Arm for me. . I press open... and none of my seam threads show. I have gotten plenty of compliments on how flat my quilts lay when they are being worked on by the pros.
    Having the seam thread show is typically the result of tension problems , and not setting the seam.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
    Maybe we should designate a new stitch: SNTD -- for Stitch Near the Ditch. I don't stitch IN the ditch either but near it.....because I don't care if the stitching shows, and sometimes want it to.
    I think there's already a name for that. Echo quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
    I don't FMQ yet I SITD. I am making a throw for my couch and plan to try pressing the seams open to see how I like it. Can you still SITD with pressed open seams because you'll just be stitching over the stitches?
    You will be stitching on top of the piecing thread and it is certainly possible for the machine needle to cut some of those threads with a most unpleasant result. I know because I have already made that mistake and wound up with a project with a hole that had to be whip stitched together. froggyintexas

Blog Entries
    I don't know if this is "correct", but I press the seams to one side, then when I SITD stitch next to the seam on the opposite side, the thread is almost hidden that way. I wouldn't mind being informed about whether my "way" is a good one.
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast