Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinion on label placement >

Opinion on label placement

Opinion on label placement

Old 06-13-2014, 02:52 AM

Just my opinion. 10-20 years from now I wouldn't want to look at a beautiful quilt and see a graduation cap. I think I would try to repair by appliquéing a piece/pieces with the same fabric so it won't stand out. If anyone says anything, you can say that you like what the Amish do. They deliberately make a mistake because only God makes something perfect.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:27 AM

Do you have an embroidery machine? I really like the suggestion by "eyes" and I know there are some neat 'cap' designs available...I think I've even seen one with the year on it (maybe I saw it in my stash!) If you could make a label like an "applique with the satin stitched edges and then hand sew it on--that is what I would do.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
Could you open the seam a bit more and insert some type of iron-on stabilizer?
No that won't work. but thanks
Old 06-13-2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
Just my opinion. 10-20 years from now I wouldn't want to look at a beautiful quilt and see a graduation cap. I think I would try to repair by appliquéing a piece/pieces with the same fabric so it won't stand out. If anyone says anything, you can say that you like what the Amish do. They deliberately make a mistake because only God makes something perfect.
It was made from swap blocks, so I will have to use a different fabric. I think I might try to make a couple of hearts and applique them on. And I don't believe in that Amish saying, because if you are going to fake a mistake --then that is still lying and has nothing to do with God.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

Are you able to post a picture of the offending block?

I just had an idea - if one could modify the design by adding several pieces to the block to make it look intentional?

I'm thinking that if one piece of that fabric frayed so badly that it pulled out, that more than one might be vulnerable.

I have long thought that to put an "intentional" "mistake" in a quilt is a very arrogant thing to do! I have seen pictures of some of those "mistakes" - and do wonder "What were they thinking?"
Old 06-13-2014, 06:43 PM

I don't put intentional mistakes in my works. The wonkiness seems to find it's way all by it's self.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by eyes View Post
Can you put her name and graduation date on the label. Maybe a graduation cap to.
I too like this idea. I put an application on a exchange block because of a mistake I made and it was the hit of the block exchange. Make it look like it was part of the layout and no one will know but you and ALL OF US!! And we won't TELL !!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:48 AM

My first thought was to appliqué a butterfly over it but like someone suggested, appliqué a graduation cap over it. That would be cute.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

Just a suggestion. a lot of people on the QB do machine embroidery for us and a cap and date block might be the perfect solution, done in the school colors. do a search on QB for those that do this type of work. It might be worth looking into.
peace