Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Ginghers Rotary Cutters

Banned
    Blog Entries
    what Mat are you using? Sometimes it is not the blade, but the mat. Throw in the type of fabric, how many layers, are cleaning between uses, etc.....given that, PM me I still have a Gingher cutter set for sale.

I am using a brand new Olfa mat. Now that I think of it it seems my blades have been dulling faster since I bought the mat...hmmmm! My other mat was a Donna Dewberry (?) from my scrapbooking days. It seems I am replacing my blades about once a week. The new ones slice through my fabric like butter, but after a short while they are dull again.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    what Mat are you using? Sometimes it is not the blade, but the mat. Throw in the type of fabric, how many layers, are cleaning between uses, etc.....given that, PM me I still have a Gingher cutter set for sale.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
    I am using a brand new Olfa mat. Now that I think of it it seems my blades have been dulling faster since I bought the mat...hmmmm! My other mat was a Donna Dewberry (?) from my scrapbooking days. It seems I am replacing my blades about once a week. The new ones slice through my fabric like butter, but after a short while they are dull again.
    I don't think it is the mat. I have used Olfa for years. Of course there is the tip of "cleaning" your blade after every BIG use of cutting! Remove your blade and wipe it down front and back with a little dab of vegetable oil on a paper towel. Do be cautious when doing this. Then wipe your cutter where the blade goes. I have used the same Olfa blade for two years+ by doing this. Only when a blade gets so dull it won't cut paper, or it gets a nick in it, will I change it out! I have cut ultrasuede for days on one blade!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
    I have been very unhappy with OLFA lately. Blades dull right out of the package or quickly dulling during use. I have been thinking of trying Ginghers Rotary Cutter, the price is a little steep but with a coupon I can get it at a price that I can be happy with. If you have the Ginghers rotary cutter are you happy with it? Is it equal to OLFA?

TIA
    Yes I have the gingher rotary cutter and like it - feels good in the hand BUT because it is gray (perhaps they have colors now?) seemed it was easier to misplace than my brightly colored Fiskars so I don't use it as often. But, another thought - I also was having trouble with quickly dulling blades lately when suddenly the thought occurred to me that maybe I should get either a new cutter, new ruler (my favorite is a 6.5" X 24.5 " Sharon Hultgren Quilters Rule) or both since I know they're quite old, probably by more than 15 years. Long story shortened - I believe the ruler edge was dulling my blades because I bought new tools and voila, problem solved. Good tools do matter.

I have a gingher rotary cutter, I'm not sure I like it that much. It didn't seem like the blades were very sharp and it wouldn't cut very easily. But it is very pretty, I love that.

Love, love, love mine, too. I agree: buy on Ebay. lots cheaper.

Blog Entries
    I love, love, love my Gingher cutter, and all my Ginger snips,(4) and all my Ginger scissor's! So well worth every penny spent on them!
    dare to dream

I had a Gingher rotary cutter but didn't like the weight of it. I LOVE my Martelli rotary cutter. It is ergonomic and I can cut for hrs without my hand getting sore.

Power Poster
    I also bought a Gingher rotary cutter on e-bay.

I prefer my Olfa cutters.

Blog Entries
    I love my Gingher cutter. However I've only had it a short time so haven't had much time to compare between it and my Olfa. I can tell you that I have a couple of Gingher scissors in my cross stitching stash and they are like gold, so I anticipate I will be just as happy with my Gingher cutter.
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast