Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opinions needed please

Opinions needed please

I need you gals to weigh in on my quilt top. It's called Mr Roosevelt's Necktie and I am making it for my DS 7. I am not sure if the blue or red fabric would look better as the border. I am also doing an outside border with random blocks of fabrics that were used in the quilt top. If the pictures and descriptions don't load correctly: First is the quilt with blue fabric, second is blue with complete border, third is red fabric, and fourth is red with complete border. The final picture is of the whole quilt top. What do you think?Name:  IMAG0073.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  146.4 KBBlue fabricName:  IMAG0072.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  289.8 KB blue with complete border
    Name:  IMAG0071.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  301.4 KBred fabricName:  IMAG0070.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  229.9 KBred with complete border
    Name:  roosevelt's necktie.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  197.6 KBentire quilt in question

I think the red "pops" more than the blue but I would take into consideration you DS favorite color. If he likes blue more than red go with blue or vice versa.

Blog Entries
    Just to make it more confusing I like the blue!

I would like a blue, but not that one. On my monitor it appears really washed out compared to the other colors in the quilt.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I would probably use a green out of the quilt if you have anymore. I don't really care for the "blue", looks more brown to me. I would maybe choose a green or another red. But I love your quilt.

I agree with artsy, the blue blends in too much. The red has more contrast. I like the extra border.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I like the red myself.

I like the red, but a border of all the colors in the quilt would be nice too. I am seeing 3 different reds, and they all would be nice. This is just another example of different monitors showing the colors differently.
    Sue

If you are wanting attention drawn to the border, then the red for sure. If you want the border to blend in and sorta not be noticed, the blue (which reads as tan with some darker color on my screen) does that. My choice would be the red. It just looks better to me.

Rats! I don't have enough of the red. And I bought that fabric so long ago that I don't even remember where it was purchased. I personally prefer the red and I wish I had enough of the green. These were my two options without buying more fabric. I will use the blue this time. This will be the first quilt I have ever completed so I am anxious to get it finished.
    susie-cubed - I am doing an outer border with 3 1/2 squares of every fabric in the quilt. I got this pattern (and the border idea) from a quilterscache pattern.
    http://www.quilterscache.com/M/MrRoo...ock_Page2.html

Thanks for the responses and the kind comments!
    Last edited by Old_Rosebud; 03-20-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added thank yous

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast