Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
opinions on Ott Lites please.. >

opinions on Ott Lites please..

opinions on Ott Lites please..

Old 05-17-2014, 10:52 AM

Default opinions on Ott Lites please..

I'm thinking about getting an Ott Lite but want to get opinions first.
Are they any better than regular lights for hand sewing?
Old 05-17-2014, 11:35 AM

I like the Ott light better - it's pretty bright. Mine is a floor lamp with magnifier. The thing I don't like about mine is that it isn't balanced...it's top heavy and I have to put hand weights on it so it won't flip over. Maybe they have improved them since I got mine a few years ago, but check that out if you are interested in that style.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:09 PM

I have two Ott lites. One sits on my sewing table and the other is a floor model. Both provide great natural lighting and really help. However, I use my floor lamp on a hard wood floor. I'm not sure how stable it would be on our carpet especially with our four racecar cats! They are definitely worth the money.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:15 PM

I don't care for the Ott lights, I think they are way overpriced. If you're looking for something like true bright daylight, you can get that by purchasing CFL bulbs with the correct "color temperature" rating. Most bulbs have these ratings right on the package. You want the 5000K bulb. This is what I use over my working surfaces and also to photograph my quilts. You don't need to purchase special lamps for these bulbs. The ones I have are large, but fit into a standard lamp, although I currently have them in reflective clamp-on fixtures.

If you're less worried about color temperature and just want something bright, I really like the IKEA Jansko LED lamp. They come in 3 models - floor, tabletop, and clamp-on. I like it because it focuses the light on my work area but doesn't disturb those around me who may be watching tv or something.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:20 PM

I love mine! DD bought me one years ago and I keep it by my machine. Got another to sit on the table where I sit in the evening and hand sew
Old 05-17-2014, 12:24 PM

I've not used Ott lights. I use an adjustable halogen table lamp for my hand sewing. Have another I can pull out if needed in tge sewing room as well. Very, very bright light. Only down side for me is the can get quite warm after extended use. The head of the fixture gets warm as well as me! Do not leave them on unattended. But the lighting is awesome.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:24 PM

I have 2 Ott Lexington floor lamps and love them. DH has claimed one to use by his "reading chair." Both have heavy bases so no problem with them tipping over. I hand quilt and I can adjust the height to my quilting frame and swing the top around to the spot I'm quilting. The light is just right for me, bright but still easy on the eyes and "true" color especially for fabric coordination/selection. Had them for several years now and haven't had to replace a bulb yet. Watch Joann's & Michael's for 1/2 price (or 40%) sales.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:40 PM

I've had a floor Ott light for a very long time and just love it.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:54 PM

Love my ott lite, had mine for about 4 years now and haven't replaced a bulb yet, wished I would have jusr got the plug in instead of the charger one, the plug is humongous and gets really hot. I would get another
Old 05-17-2014, 01:23 PM

Love mine. I've probably had it for 10 years or more and haven't had to replace a bulb yet. Some of the new CFL or LED bulbs are probably just as good but they weren't on the market when I bought the Ott. Mine sits by my sewing machine for night sewing but I move it around the house when I have hand work to do. May have to check out the new bulbs so I don't have to move it all the time...