Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OTT LIGHTS

Does anyone have them? Which is best, table model or floor model? How long do the litebulbs last? Are the litebulbs interchangeable with these fancy new swirly ones? Do you have to have the OTT LITEBULBS?

I see Joanns has theirs at half off. Are they worth the $$$.

Thanx everyone.

I have both a table model and a floor model. Wouldn't be without them. I can't say how long the bulbs last as I have yet to replace either of them and I've had them for over a year now. They are worth the money in my opinion. :)

I agree, I have a table top one and it is superb. I have had mine for about 2 years now and still with the original bulb.

My table one is about three years old and on the original bulb. I am sensitive to lack of light in winter, and it seems to make a difference.

Hi,

I have an OTT light and the bulb has lasted for over a year now, it's a table model that folds over to close.
    However, I also bought a table and a floor model of a daylight/natural light type lamp that aren't OTT lights...they work super. I got both for less than one OTT light on sale. I bought mine at Shopko, which is a discount retail store like a Target or Walmart...they do have them at both of them, too. Check them out, same type of light and I love mine.

Bev

Thank you for your help. I have kind-of researched them & several people have had problems with them shorting out, bulbs going out and a few other problems.

Just wondered.

I bought 2 OTT table lamps and did not feel they gave good light. One burned out and it was the dickens to get the bulb out. Actually, DH broke the bulb trying to remove it. I read somewhere that you have to phone the company to learn how to properly remove the bulb. Is that true????

Big Lots advertised the Full Spectrum lights. They are much cheaper and the bulbs were stronger and give a clear white light. The floor model lamps come with an extra free bulb that ordinarily would cost $9.99.

I also saw that JoAnn was closing out this product and I am wondering if a person will be able to buy the bulbs without ordering from the company.

I have both a table and a floor model- they advertise the bulbs will last 10,000 hours. They are fabulous. I even use mine for reading...and tweezing those pesky hairs that show up on the ...ahem...face. lol. if you do decide on an OTT lamp, they are often on sale for 40 to 50% off. No way would I pay full price for one- toooooo expensive.

Blog Entries
    My table top flip close Ott lamo is over 10 years old and still on the same bulb! I thing you have to very sure it is an original Ott light. They are expensive, this small table top one was about $60 on sale. So that's six dollars a year and still going strong.
    It has a handle so it's easy to carry and use anywhere. The bulb for Ott lamps are about $30.

I love my Ott light. I highly recommend them

I use one right in front of my sewing machine. I wouldn't be without it. I need the extra light and it doesn't get hot since it's florescent.

I bought one over a year ago to place on my sewing table...
    I love them
    Kirsten

I have 3.....one is the Ott light and the other 2 are from Odd Lots....39.99.....I can't tell the difference.....all are floor models....I drag them to where ever I'm working easy on my eyes and I can see a lot better.....I don't know how I didi without.....If you need the light you will enjoy...I've had mine going on 4 years same bulbs....knock on wood......:-)

I have a floor model and one that clamps onto my table. Have had them for about 3 years now, I think. Still same bulbs. Got them from Joanns when they were 1/2 off. I love them!

I love my Ott lights! After using my table fold down one for years before needing a new bulb, I got a floor one (at Joann Fabrics 50% off). Then the Christmas I bought my hubby a full keyboard piano, I told him to borrow my floor Ott until he found a cheaper floor lamp. Well, he ended up telling me to go get myself a new one for sewing because he loved this one and it looks so good with the piano too. So, I did. Then, when my dad was so ill, I was spending 3-7 days at a time with my folks, I splurged and got a whole sewing set for at their house; a new machine, scissors, rotary cutter, cutting board, and another table Ott. They emptied a small armoir to dedicate it for my equipment. I sewed many things for my dad that year and for my mom ever since. So far, the only bulb I have had to replace in all my 8ish years of quilting is on that first table lamp, a year and half ago. I highly recommend the Ott light. Oh wait... I forgot one.. when my mom needed a floor lamp for her new keyboard (helps her through grief), we found a non-Ott brand lamp with the same like sun qualtiy. That was at Home Depot, on sale, then she got $25 off by signing up for a Home Depot card, so she ended up paying only $30. She loves it.

Love the Ott light. I have a fold up so I can take it with me to retreats. I am going to buy a floor model. My husband has the clip on for his computer. They all have their purpose.

Blog Entries
    I have the floor . Had it for five years now and have not had to change the bulb yet. Yets hope I did not jinks myself.

I have both a table and floor model. Love them both. Have had them now for several years -- have yet to replace a bulb (knock on wood). However, I figure it might be time for me to buy some just to have on hand....

I don't know how I ever sewed without them...

Hi

I use the verilux true spectrum light bulb in in a flexible goose neck floor lamp from IKEA. This is a very inexpensive solution, waaay cheaper than the Ott light, and works beautifully. The bulb has been in the lamp for more than a year and it was about $10. i think. Go to the verilux website and check them out. They even had FREE SHIPPING on my order to Canada.

Cheers

Gloria

I LOVE MINE!!!

I lucked out and got two for free!!! I order a sewing cabinet last year, spendy!! Two times they sent it to me with damage to the wood. I am not a complainer but if I am gonna spend that kind of money then I think there shouldn't be scratches, gouges, etc in the cabinet. Anyhow, because of my trouble the company I bought it from sent me a free table top ott light. I was thrilled because I wanted one and was going to ask for one for christmas. Then.....a week later, I got another one...for free!! This one was sent to me by manufacturer of the cabinet (where the store I got mine from purchased it).

My grandma is a sewer and had been complaining about not being able to see as well, and wanted better lighting. She has one of those bendy clip on desk lamps but it got SUPER hot. So I gave her my second one for her birthday last year. SHE LOVES IT TOO!!!

The bulbs in both of ours are still running strong! If I remember correctly the bulbs last several years, depending on how much you use the lamp. And the replacement bulbs for how long they last are cheap in my opinion!!

I would get one if I were you!! They don't get hot, and the light is better, and they swivel and move around great so you can see what you need to see!!

I have two a table model and a floor model. My floor model was tall and had a arm which adjusted up and down and side to side. The lamp was not but about 6months old and the arm broke. The store said to bad, I contacted ott and they replaced my lamp even tho I could not find the receipt. They mailed me a lamp of my choice in the same price range are I could have the same one. I chose a different lamp and I like it but not as well as the old model. The lights are awesome would not be able to see without them. The company stands behind thier products.

Power Poster
    I like mine. I can see well enough at night to sew black fabric at night with it.

I have a table and a floor model. I LOVE them - I use the always. My floor model has the magnifier on it - while hand sewing or ripping a seam (not that any of you have ever had to do that) it has been invaluable. I also use them for beading.

I have both a table model and a floor model. They are wonderful and have not had to replace bulbs. The light is easy on my eyes! I used coupons to buy them at deep discounts! LUV EM! :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have a small table one, and am impressed with the amount of light it puts out. And there isn't a glare.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast