Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OTT LIGHTS >

OTT LIGHTS

OTT LIGHTS

Old 05-13-2009, 12:21 PM

i know a lot of people who have ott lights and everyone loves them. the only complaint i ever heard was from a lady whose lamp got bumped and damaged and they wouldn't repair (for money) or replace.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:14 PM

I have two--one floor, one table and several other imitation lamps. I swear by the Ott light brand. No one else's version comes close to theirs in performance. I had to replace the bulb in the floor model last year--I had had it for at least 5 years. I got a replacement bulb for less than retail on ebay and its doing fine. So if you swing the bucks, go for it. You won't be sorry.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 PM

I have a Verilux floor lamp which I bought from Amazon. If you shop around you can find they same type of lamp (not OTT) for less money then the Joann sales price. I also have a Tensor lamp that I bought from QVC about 5 yrs ago. I had to get a new bulb after 4 yrs. The bulbs can be very expensive. Shop the internet - you can find the bulbs for a lot less.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:29 AM

I love my table top Ott: I put it to the right of my sewing machine so I can see just in front of the presser foot. The swirly bulbs are fluorescent bulbs, not the full/daylight spectrum used in Ott and similar lamps. I try to pick fabrics for a project using the Ott as well as standard incandescent and fluorescent lamps so I know what I'll get when I am done. Many dyes react differently to the various types of lighting.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:52 AM

I got one of the flip lights. I love it because I can use it about anywhere I have electric. It does make a BIG difference in the way I see my handywork. It's clearer and the colors are more true to being in the full sun, without all the sweating.One problem I found though is that due to sitting MANY hours sometimes working on some craft or another, the heat from the light has burnt a hole in the plastic cover. So be aware of this if the covering is plastic or close to the bulb on any of these lights. It's very worth the money though if you do a lot of crafts or you are on that other side of that hill everyone talks about.Hehe. I am there myself and regular lighting just isn't good enough anymore. The bulbs are available where you get the lights but they are a little expensive but they do last a pretty long time. So find the one you need and make that investment, especially since they are on sale. I got mine at the Hobby Lobby store I work in. Enjoy.