Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions and suggestions please >

Opinions and suggestions please

Opinions and suggestions please

Old 06-12-2014, 01:22 PM

Default Opinions and suggestions please

My friend is a fairly new quilter and today she asked me for help on a lap quilt she wants to make for a very special friend. It will be a wheelchair lap quilt, so I think should have ties, she was planning velcro. Do you recommend one over the other?

She is using a Buddha center panel and asked for suggestions of other things to go with it. I do have some oriental floral, a crane, some butterflies to share, and she is planning to applique the konji for the meditation sound ohmmmm {? spelling}. I think I might also have a scenic fabric with a pond on it, I'll have to look.
We are thinking to surround the panel with 8-10" blocks, with some that are 2x10 to make the 8" fit, and the stork one is long, I think so could use something longer and narrow to bring it up to square. Just thinking if anyone has strips that might fit in. I was thinking I saw someone had fabric with konji on it one time. Not that I knew what it said, and that could matter I guess. LOL

Do any of you have other suggestions of things (or fabrics to sell/share/trade) that would go with this type of theme, which is mainly tranquility, peace, acceptance, etc.
Her friend has MS which is progressing fairly rapidly and has recently had to give up her job and move into the wheelchair permanently.

I appreciate any suggestions you have and look forward to working with my friend on this quilt. It will be her first for someone who is not a family member.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:50 PM

No real suggestions, it sounds like it's going to be a great quilt! (It's usually spelled "om", by the way, or sometimes "aum". My hippy mother actually made "Om" one of my middle names, believe it or not, so I'm super familiar with the word/sound/symbol! There are different symbols for this sound, depending upon the culture it comes from. And I think it's very appropriate for your quilt!) You know what...come to think of it, I saw fabric with the Sanskrit "om" symbol on it just recently.... Ah hah! This might be something you could include: https://www.fabric.com/SearchResults...3-26a376046a5e
Old 06-12-2014, 02:08 PM

What a wonderful thing to for you and your friend to do. It will be treasured!
Old 06-12-2014, 04:09 PM

sewnoma, I forwarded your link to my friend and she loved that fabric. Thank you so much for sharing!