Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine >

Sewing Machine

Sewing Machine

Old 06-08-2014, 07:47 AM

Default Sewing Machine

I am trying to find a basic computerized sewing machine for my daughter-as a beginner machine. I am very familiar with Pfaff and Bernina machines but it is hard to find something (even used) for just a couple hundred $. I know someone who has a Babylock "Grace" and I do not think she paid a lot for it. Anyone on here have that machine? What are your thoughts on it? Is it economical to buy? Ever have any problems with it? Do Babylock machines ever come on sale?
Old 06-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Check with your LQS. They may have a machine or know someone on their customer list wanting to sell a pre-owned in good condition.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:50 AM

Check out the Janome gems
Old 06-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

I love my Bernina. I have had both of them for over 15 years and not any major problems. Might check in with you local Bernina dealership or send an e-mail requesting if they have any used ones and prices. They do seem to keep their resale value.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:33 PM

I have a basic Janome computerized machine - the 2010. I believe they just use the year as the model number for this one. It is a really great machine - costs maybe $450 (?) new. I also love my big Bernina (the 750) although I doubt you could find one of those used cheap enough...anyway, like several people said, check your local sewing machine shops for trade-ins and make sure you like the repair person, in case you have to take it back for tweaking!

Margaret
Old 06-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

You should check at the on line Hancock fabric store too. They have the janome's on sale a lot. I enjoyed my janome Memory Craft when I had it. And I have to admit, it was a great machine. But I was used to the bernina brand, so I sold it and bought another bernina. The specialty feet for the janome are very reasonable in comparison.
For example a walking foot was somewhere around forty dollars for the janome and almost two hundred for the bernina.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:01 PM

[QUOTE=MFord;6750558]I have a basic Janome computerized machine - the 2010. I believe they just use the year as the model number for this one. It is a really great machine - costs maybe $450 (?) new. I also love my big Bernina (the 750) although I doubt you could find one of those used cheap enough...anyway, like several people said, check your local sewing machine shops for trade-ins and make sure you like the repair person, in case you have to take it back for tweaking!

Margaret[/QUOT

Was this Janome 2010 bought at a Sewing Machine Dealer or at Hancock's?
Old 06-08-2014, 04:35 PM

It will be hard to find a computerized in your price range except for brothers, most janomes run about 400, You can find a good computerized brother in your range and they are good beginner machines. I absolutely adore my SQ-9050 and I know the CS6000i is also popular and you can easily find these 2 models in your price range. the babylocks are going to also be in the 400 range as well unless you find used, you might be able to find the brother equivalents for cheaper but they will still be in the high 300's for the grace model. I have had brothers for well over 20years from the 100 to 6k range, never had problems with any of mine. I know the babylock audreys are a little over 300 so the grace is probably around 4 as it is a higher model. I haven't heard any bad things about the grace which I think is the NV-40e on the brother side
Old 06-08-2014, 05:18 PM

Brother makes Babylock. Many Brother sewing machines are usually less expensive than Babylocks. Even the Brother sewing machines sold at Walmart for $150-$200 make great beginner sewing machines.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:51 PM

You could also check your area Craigslist. I see many different machines at many different price ranges on Craigslist.