Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing the "stash" >

Organizing the "stash"

Organizing the "stash"

Old 11-13-2011, 05:56 AM

Good food for thought, here. I really do need to reorganize so that the fabric I own becomes more appealing than the fabric I find in those brightly lit, appealing fabric shops! If I could only get going on using some up, it would make it so much more pleasurable to keep using it up. Well, using most of it up, I do get the heeby-jeebies when I think of not having a retirement fabric bank.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:41 AM

I use small containers for 1/2 yd and smaller pieces and one box per color. I also use these boxes for project boxes. One project per box. Larger fabrics are stored in a large container.
Here is a sample of my boxes:
Attached Thumbnails my-craft-room_001_011.jpg  
Old 11-13-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC View Post
Suggest you keep your coordinating family collections together - in a separate area
I too keep my coordinating fabrics together along with the intended pattern. Usually name the intended project as well so that I don't accidentally use any of the fabric in something else.
For the rest of the fabric I fold and sort by theme, colour or range.

Maybe1day
Old 11-13-2011, 05:45 PM

If I buy fabrics to coordinate with a focus fabric...I put them in a zip lock or into a clear plastic box...I thry to keep them together and if possible put the pattern with it, or at least a note telling me what pattern I was planning on at the time. Works well for me!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 AM

How you organize depends on how your mind works You've come to the right place for suggestions, and will certainly find something that works for you.

I tend to buy with specific projects in mind, so most of my stash is organized per project. Leftovers and "impulse" buys are organized by floral/dominant color, print, or color. It's not really as "organized" as it sounds, but that's my excuse for opening all my tubs and wallowing in my fabrics on occasion.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:47 AM

I saw your question about organizing your stash/fabrics. I use fabric boards. My dh & I cut some for my mess and they are so much easier to use than piling it in stacks & piled high. I had checked years ago and they were very expensive and so my fabrics kept building over the 14 yrs. I've been quilting. The boards we sell are 7X10 for 25 boards in a set for 35.00, shipping free. That size I have 6 yards on 1 board, folded and layered each fabric. So that size holds a lot.
The next size we have is the 6X9 for 25 boards for 30.00, free shipping. 1 board I have 8 fat quarters on it, another used for, cut & pressed binding to keep nice, or 1/8, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 any of these sizes will go on 1 board and stagger each fabric on 1 board so you can see all that is on that board. I use sticky notes on the top of the boards for yardage amounts, inventory is good for me now. When I couldn't find what I needed I'd go buy more, well, that's not such a good thing either, even though I love to buy more fabrics as the next quilter. These boards are very light weight, Acid free, Archival safe, won't yellow, get moldy, crumble and will not harm your fabrics.
These are great for projects, wrap 1 project on the board and pin the pattern on the front fabric, keeps it safe from using that fabric in another project which I've done many, many times
I know your posting is dated last year but just had to send this out to you or others needing organized ideas. PM me if to still need ideas.
take care sweetie,
Shirley
Old 01-29-2012, 09:30 AM

Saw your posting on 11/10/11 about the Foam Core Boards. Better late than never LOL.
My hubby makes them and I have posted many posts about them. He sells them very reasonable too and always free shipping. He will make larger boards for you so just ask. The sizes he has listed here are working just fine for mine.
7X10-25 boards-35.00
6X9-25 boards-30.00
These are Archival/Acid free. won't yellow with age, won't harm your fabrics.
He has 500 cut now and ready for shipping if anyone wants to order just PM me.
Just wrap your fabrics around them & pin to the back, and stagger the fabrics so you see all the fabrics
on each board. I love mine and have 6- yards on the 7X10 size and I use sticky notes on each board to list the amount of yardage it has on it. Great way for my inventory & how much I have left. In fact I found 9 yards of white under all the piles, didn't know I had that & had bought more. My projects are on another board & I pinned the pattern onto the fabric. I'm the worst for getting fabrics lost for my projects and having to decide on something different. Doesn't happen anymore. LOL.
So this is my story & and telling all of you about it.
Bye for now, hope to hear from some of you soon.

Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
I would look at getting those core boards that a member on here was selling a bit ago. not sure if they are still for sale. you can wrap the fabric and then organize them that way. I like to go by type and color and "theme" like I mostly have batiks and they are almost all able to fit in a large photo box i got from wall mart and the same with my non batik fabrics. the fq's all fit into two disk holder things and are sorted by color and theme. batiks in one the rest in the other. i really would look into maybe getting more shelves so everything in only having to be one deep.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:44 AM

Hello Michelehuston, I saw your kudos for the fabric boards that were sold a few months back. My hubby sells them too. He has 500 ready to ship and his prices are. Always free shipping He will also make larger boards on special orders.
7X10-25 boards-35.00
6X9-25 boards-30.00
These are the very same boards that were sold months ago but with a lower price.
Theses are Archival Safe/Acid free/ won't yellow over time, won't harm your fabrics.
I love these boards. I have 6 yards on 7X10 7 stagger the fabrics so you see all on the board. I also have 8 FQ on 1 board. I use a sticky note on the boards with the amount of fabrics on each for an inventory of what I have & also my projects go on 1 board & I pin the pattern on the front of the fabric, so I don't use that fabric by accident on something else. I was great at that.LOL
Anyway members this is what he has if your interested please PM me for more information.

Originally Posted by michelehuston View Post
I ordered the fabric boards from M.I.Late here and they are the only thing that keeps me having any idea what I have!! Not really organized in a great way yet, but these things are great!!! I definately recommend them!!!