Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing >

Organizing

Organizing

Old 06-14-2010, 06:45 PM

I keep a picture of each quilt with a brief description and who it was for. If I really liked the pattern, I list that also. I keep them in plastic sleeves in a 3 ring binder.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 PM

My journal didn't last long either. I can't even keep up with my checkbook!

I do keep all my stash that is "purposed" together in a clear box, with the pattern, fabric and who the quilt is for inside the box. When I'm ready for another project, I just pick up one off the shelf.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

I recently listed all of my larger quilts (anything personal and not donated) and I am at 29. Most of them I remember and most importantly, the owners use them well. That's about as far as my documentation goes.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Google Goddess

very good idea, that way you can always look back and see what quilt you made, awesome idea, also may be a good idea to make a copy of the pattern so in case you decide to do it again will all be in one spot in your journal

Originally Posted by katmom54
Do you keep a catalogue of some sort on what quilts you made?
It has been awhile since I quilted and just recently have gotten back into it - in a big way, I might add...SO as I look for fabrics and patterns from before, I am getting frustrated with not finding things I know I have. I decided to make a page for each quilt I make to include:

name of pattern
a photo of completed quilt
number and sizes of blocks
sample (including selvage info) of each fabric
what I did with it (donated, sold etc)
where I got the pattern from
receipt for materials if available - or estimated cost/value of quilt

I have placed them in clear sleeves and put them in a 3 ring binder...looks good so far...I am already impressed with myself! I also thought it would be good for tax purposes - each would be documented for donations, deductions etc.

The reason I started this was that I made a quilt and loved it, but it was earmarked for donation...I didn't want to lose the idea or patterns etc, so I decided to catalogue along with the remaining fabric to make myself one someday soon.

let me know how you do it...
Old 06-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

If pictures on my computer count than yes.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:48 PM

On a guick count I come up with 24, without counting any of mine and I just remembered a few.

I do have a list somewhere, thank you for reminding me to keep it updated.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:55 PM

Mine are orgainized similar to yours. I have a notebook I write everything in. The name of the quilt, the date I started the quilt, who's pattern it is or where I found the pattern. I include information on the size of blocks, sashing, borders, etc. If the blocks are machine embroidered I put the design card the designs are from. If the quilt has a technique I haven't done, I write this in detail incase I want to dublicate it on another quilt. I put the measurements of the finished quilt and the longarm quilters name. At the bottom of the page I put who I gave the quilt too. What the occasion was, birth, Xmas, etc.
On the back of the page I put a picture of the finished quilt. If I designed the quilt top on graph paper I include that. Or if I have a picture of the quilt from a magazine I may include that as well.
Sometimes I also inlcude fabric samples. I am 3/4 of the way through my second notebook. Theres been several times I have referred back to a quilt for a specific tecnique I want to duplicate and was glad I had kept good notes.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

I have a list of all the comforters I have made and a list of all the quilts I have made since I started quilting, 1965 or 1966, for oldest DD.
I list the year - Name, if I didn't make the quilt up - colors used - If it was hand or machine quilted - and who I gave it to. I remember every comforter and quilt I have made, can't remember what I said 10 minutes ago but, I remember every one I've made.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:17 PM

Nice to hear that others are keeping track. I hate to part with some of them and thought this might help - at least I can remember what I did if I want to try again. I made a watercolor impressions quilt for a gift, and really wanted to keep it (it was a violin and a trumpet of all one fabric) and I dont even have a picture...would never be able to reproduce it now. So hopefully, this will help me when I have to give away future projects.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:33 PM

[quote=brushandthimble]On a guick count I come up with 24, without counting any of mine and I just remembered a few.

I have been adding to my list (in Excel) as I think of them, up to 83 and I know there are more.

This does not count the ones waiting to be quilted, WIP or UFO's.