Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OUCH!....and I need some advice.... >

OUCH!....and I need some advice....

OUCH!....and I need some advice....

Old 02-24-2010, 06:50 PM

Ok, so since I have joined this forum I have fallen head over heels for the block swaps! When the Breast Cancer Awareness Swap came up...it hit close to home. My Mom just finished her treatment in January! (She's been given a clean bill of health since!! YAY!) Also, two dear friends of my Hubby's family are survivors. As well, my co-workers best friend (whom I don't know) has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. So, I thought it would be perfect to join the swap and donate a quilt in these four ladies names. However, I just couldn't find a block I liked and it was starting to make me really sad and feel poorly about my quilting. So...I decided instead of the block swap, I am going to make a quilt for my co-workers friend so that when she starts chemo, she'll have a quilt to snuggle.
This is where the ouch comes in...I found the PERFECT fabrics tonight! I wasn't expecting to find them, so I didn't have the yardage requirements for the quilt I chose. So, "Just give me 1.5 yards of each" I said easily! OUCH! Before I have even CUT the fabric, this quilt has already cost me almost $100!! To make it burn a little more, turns out I only need half yard of each! Oh well...gonna make a second quilt for my Mom.
I am attaching pictures of the fabrics...they are so perfect! Pretty but not obnoxiously "Breast Cancer Pink". The first pic is the pattern I have chosen (unless after seeing the fabrics you all can think of a nicer pattern that would show off the fabrics better....) The third photo is a pic of the fabric that I thought I might use for the borders. Now, my question for all you lovely ladies (and gentlemen) is...I thought about cutting the borders the length of the fabric to utilize the lovely strips of flowers and such. How does one cut the length???? How do you cut it and keep it straight? Should I just use the flowery fabrics for borders and leave the strip for squares? What do you think? Thank you all for any advice you can give. I will be sure to post a pic of the quilt in progress/completed if you are at all interested!
:)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-19624.jpe   attachment-19625.jpe   attachment-19626.jpe  
Old 02-24-2010, 06:54 PM

If you have enough repeats to use the striped fabric for borders, I think it would look great. I would double check that before starting, tho. You could also use one strip design for the sides, and a different one for the top and bottom. Since they come from the same fabric, you know they would match!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:57 PM

I love those fabrics! And I think the pattern you chose will look great.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:00 PM

Yummy fabric, love them!!
I love using strips for my borders.
I like the pattern you are planning on using.

I made a quilt for a co-worker when she was dx with breast cancer. She is gardner, so I cut floral and pink fabrics and made a log cabin (my fall back to pattern and my favorite) I found a GREAT pink flannel for the backing, she loved it.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

I love your fabric choices, these quilts are going to be a wonderful comfort. I think you can use the striped fabric as a border, but as someone else said you may have to spend a little extra time cutting, if the fabric stays true you should be able to cut on the the stripe and you might have to ease in any little wave that may be in the fabric.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:18 PM

Do you have a rotary cutter, mat and ruler? If so, I would set the striped fabric aside to use for the borders. The other fabrics, I would fold one, selvages together and cut let's say 4" strips (4 Strips), of each fabric. I would then sew 2 strips together the entire length of the strip, iron seams to darkest side, then cut into 4" the long way.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:18 PM

Do you have a rotary cutter, mat and ruler? If so, I would set the striped fabric aside to use for the borders. The other fabrics, I would fold one, selvages together and cut let's say 4" strips (4 Strips), of each fabric. I would then sew 2 strips together the entire length of the strip, iron seams to darkest side, then cut into 4" the long way.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:47 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

I just saw those fabrics today on my outing. I actually have the brown with golden spots. Love all the fabric, can't wait to see the quilt.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:48 PM

So, I have to tell you all this.
I was talking to my Hubby as we were getting ready for bed and I was telling him of the question I posed to you guys about cutting the length of the fabric. His response was thus:
"you need a ripping blade." He said matter of factly
"what is a ripping blade?" Thinking it amazing that he knew of a quilting tool that I didn't know about...
"to cut the length you use a ripping blade on the saw. That cuts the length of the grain. If you are cutting the width of the wood, you use a cross cut saw. So, a ripping blade to rip the length of the wood and a cross cut to cut the width."
"Right...um...you know I'm talking about fabric right?"

This is why I love this man so much! He is simply amazing in every way...including his sense of humor!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Power Poster

Love you fabric ! And think the flowers will make a very pretty border :mrgreen: And YES please post pics as you are working on it :shock: