Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Outline Stitching >
  • Outline Stitching

• Outline Stitching

Old 01-30-2012, 05:35 AM

Question Outline Stitching

When I'm not FMQ, I SID but I think I want to outline stitch on my next quilt. I've never done that before. Which side of the seam do you stitch? And do you outline every seam? I know this is a silly question. Thank you.
    Old 01-30-2012, 05:41 AM

Cool

It's not a silly question! Are you talking about outlining some of the focal points on the fabrics in the quilt?
    Old 01-30-2012, 05:41 AM

Are you referring to" stitch in the ditch"?
    Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
    It's not a silly question! Are you talking about outlining some of the focal points on the fabrics in the quilt?
    I'm making a Lovers Knot for my DGS wedding. The pattern calls for SID but I want to try OLS. Just don't know if the stitching goes on both sides of the seam or just the side of the seam allowance.
    Old 01-30-2012, 05:52 AM
    Power Poster

I did this on my first quilt - when I really didn't know what I was doing - LOL. I stitched inside all sides of the patch. Then I stopped and started a new patch. It was a LOT of starting and stopping. I don't recommend it, but it's up to you if you want to go to all of that work. It's a lot easier in hand quilting because the thread can go to the next patch between the layers. Not a silly question at all. I wish this board was available when I started
    Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 AM
    Banned

whichever side you want. Usually the stitch just 1/4" or so away from the seam is used for dimensional effect.
    I like it because it adds to the overall design. I believe some quilt patterns require it. Remember that the quilting can add dimension or additional design to the quilt.
    I realize it is more work to quit this way and has it's problem perhaps and needs but is very effective.
    Old 01-30-2012, 06:39 AM

Another stupid question: what is FMQ and SID?? I worked for a state agency and am kind of good at deciphering acronyms, but some of these have me stumped. I am sure I will say duh when you answer, but nevertheless I am stumped. I am totally new to this site, but have enjoyed reading all the posts. So much information and it has helped me considerably. Since retirement, I am getting into this. I have made 20 table toppers since the end of November and a couple of avatars have sent me to the net looking for patterns. Such fun and thanks for sharing.
    Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 AM
    Power Poster

Are you planning to use your walking foot or FMQ foot to outline stitch? It is harder to keep a consistant distance away from the piece in FMQ. It is easier to keep a consistant distance from the piece with the walking foot BUT harder to move the quilt in the right directions to sew. Take a look at the top and decide what would work best for you.p.s. Quilter 65-FMQ stands for free motion quilting with the darning or hopping foot (you can stitch in any direction) STD or SID stands for Stitch In The Ditch which is sewing a quilting line right at or close to the intersection of 2 pieces of fabric.

Last edited by Tartan; 01-30-2012 at 06:46 AM.
    Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Are you planning to use your walking foot or FMQ foot to outline stitch? It is harder to keep a consistant distance away from the piece in FMQ. It is easier to keep a consistant distance from the piece with the walking foot BUT harder to move the quilt in the right directions to sew. Take a look at the top and decide what would work best for you.p.s. Quilter 65-FMQ stands for free motion quilting with the darning or hopping foot (you can stitch in any direction) STD or SID stands for Stitch In The Ditch which is sewing a quilting line right at or close to the intersection of 2 pieces of fabric.

I would probably use FMQ since it is a large quilt(full to queen size) but I see that it would be more difficult to keep a straight seam.
    Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 AM

Smile Thanks

Thank you all for your advice. I may just do an all-over design