Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paducah vs Houston >

Paducah vs Houston

Paducah vs Houston

Old 03-14-2015, 07:03 AM

Have never been to Paducah - but have been to Houston 3 times. If I go to Paducah it will be on a tour so I don't have to figure out where to stay or how to get around. Loved Houston -- stayed the whole week each time I went. Took classes every day, love the vendor mall -- the quilt show is so impressive. I came home very inspired! I think it would depend on what type of experience you want to have and how much time you have to spend. If you want classes then I would choose Houston!
Old 03-14-2015, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

It will take every bit of two days to see all the quilt events at Paducah. I stay three days and 2 nights when I go and found that gives me leisure time to not be rushed. No way you can see and enjoy everything in one day at Paducah. I go alone so I can go and see (see it twice if I choose) for three days. The times I took someone with me it was always, I'm tired, my feet hurt, I'm hungry, You already seen this why do you want to go back, I'll just sit here and wait on you and sigh the whole time or the worse when going with a group: We are waiting on you.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:53 AM

I've been to both several times, and I always enjoy Paducah so much more. The town is very welcoming, the National Quilt Museum is always worth a visit, the people are friendly, and there are quilt vendors everywhere you turn. Paducah is a quilting experience - Houston is a huge convention center show.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:14 AM

I have been to both Paducah and Houston numerous times. I prefer Paducah for much of the reasons stated by other posters. Another factor is there is something about the flooring at the Houston convention center - it kills my feet walking there.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:07 AM

I have been to both. Houston has more room between the rows of quilts and vendors more people but less crowded. Paducah has wonderful quilts, get vendors but is very very crowded. I try to go on the first day for Paducah when there are less people. love Paducah as a town, very quaint, has the quilt museum wonderful little shops and of course Hancocks.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:48 AM

I would always pick Houston. It's huge, they have tons of classes led by well known quilters and the vendors are too numerous to see all of them. I went to Paducah the year it flooded - not too many vendors - nice quilts and displays, but the only classes I heard about were taught away from the quilt show. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I went the year it flooded and everything had to be moved from the building. All the vendors and quilts were spread out in any building that could hold them. The classes and lectures are held in the same building as the show unless it's a class at one of the shops in town. PaperPieces bought Carol Bayer Fallert's quit building and now have a shop in Paducah.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:00 PM

Have only been to Paducah and loved it each time. I would be overwhelmed at Houston.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:07 PM

Been to both; love both; can't afford both. Paducah last 8 yrs; Houston only 2 yrs. In Paducah, there is a lot to do & not confined to one space. Houston all in one place & classes are good (I've taken 2) & "emergency supplies" are readily available. Shuttle busses are excellent between venue hotels too. Either way, you'll enjoy. I'd make at least each one at least once & then make your own call. Whichever, have fun & enjoy the trip.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:55 PM

My 2 cents - my daughter lives in Paducah and my DH is glad to take me to the Quilt Show every April - it is 5 hours away for us. Of course, we stay with her. She is a wonderful chauffer once we get there - she is a quilter also. DH stayed at her house the first year while she and I were at the quilt show and shopping and hated to be there with nothing to do by himself. So, he now goes with us all week wherever we go and is SO GOOD to help carry bolts of fabric to the cutting table, or whatever we need him to do. He loves to people watch - or "woman watch". We spend several days there and by the time we "see it all" I am so tired of quilts, etc. - so I cannot imagine wanting to go to anything bigger. But, to have everything underneath one roof might be nice. The quilt show itself is in downtown Paducah and most of the vendors are in the convention center but the whole downtown is devoted to quilting/fabric. Last year we even saw fabric for sale at a bakery downtown!!! BUT, what probably sets Paducah above Houston is Hancocks of Paducah - fabric store. Not to be confused with a regular Hancocks fabric store. I am a batik addict and I think that I counted 10 LONG rows of batiks. They do have some sales (red dots on bolts) during Quilt Week - but be prepared to spend a bundle in there. My daughter interviewed the owners of Hancocks of Paducah for an article for the Paducah Sun (local newspaper) one year and they said that some women walk in the door and start crying!!!