Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Painter's tape - Help >

Painter's tape - Help

Painter's tape - Help

Old 10-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

have you tried marking with a Hera marker. just plastic with a side you use to "mark" lines. just makes indentations in fabric. need good light to see them but you stitch on the lines and nothing to wash out later.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:00 PM

I was recently told that the green Frog tape sticks better than the blue painters tape--haven't tried it so not sure.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

I use it to get the line straight and then put some pins through it to hold it in place.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:38 PM

I have also had a number of issues with blue painters tape - so I changed to Floriani's Embroidery Perfection Tape. (best known as Pink tape) It looks like painters tape colored pink but it is so much better at sticking to fabric that I actually use it several times before replacing it. It leaves no residue and I think it is absolutely great!
Old 10-16-2016, 10:39 PM

I'm with Peckish --- masking tape works much better!!!
Old 10-17-2016, 01:52 AM

Be aware- the big box DIY stores sell painters tape but NOT the original!! The 'new/improved' sticks to zero. Not even to stick & immediately paint. Go to a hardware store & request the Original painters tape. This is the tape that works!I use for household, machine emb. as well as anything that needs a temp. tape edge & it is well worth tracking down. My local Ace store has it in both narrow & wide.
sewverybusy1
Old 10-17-2016, 03:43 AM

I had the same problem. The tape curls and comes unstuck. I managed to keep it attached long enough to quilt straight lines on a small quilt but it's not ideal and I stopped trying to use it.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:09 AM

I LOVE Floriani "pink" tape! Absolutely the best! But if you do want to use the next best, it would be the Blue "Outdoor" painters tape. Yes, it is made be the original "Blue" company. It has a plastic feel and when you tear it, it tears straight, no ragged edges.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:17 AM

I have found that when it comes to quilting straight lines I do best when using a piece of computer paper. Usually when doing straight lines you go from corner to corner diagonally across the quilt or you parallel a line. Doing straight lines I generally use my walking foot. I lay the piece of paper from Point A to Point B and sew along the edge of the paper. Then I move the paper to Point B and C. Across the quilt. If I am doing lines parellel to that the first line of stitching I cut the paper strip the width that I want (1 inch, 1-1/2 inches, etc). You can pin the paper if you feel it slipping on you. Also if you have lots of seams to sew through it might be helpful to pin in several places.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:14 AM

I've never had any luck with the blue tape on fabric and it really ain't all that great for painting either. It either won't stick or you can't remove it. It's like the glue is not evenly applied. I always buy 3M tapes but the blue is a failure. The white is super but you have to remove it from fabric asap and OH yea never ever use an iron near it on fabric- a nightmare I never want to go through again.