Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Painter's tape - Help >

Painter's tape - Help

Painter's tape - Help

Old 10-18-2016, 03:07 AM

I tried the blue painters tape too and it does not stick well and I always wash my fabric first with no fabric softener
I use plain old masking tape but only put it on when I am ready to actually ready to sit and quilt. I pull it off immediately after stitching and never leave it on longer than I have to. Nice straight lines, works with walking foot and makes me look good.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:29 AM

I use regular masking tape. It does stick but I never leave it on over night. So I only tape what I can get done that day. Regular masking tape is cheaper and so far I have had good luck with it. Just don't use it and leave it on for days. Some of the glue on the tape could come off on your quilt if tape is left on.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by jamsbuying View Post
First try using blue painter's tape across quilt for straight line quilting! What am I doing wrong, the tape is coming off. It is a new roll. Am I making this up - that I have seen where people use this tape to mark quilting lines? Any hints/suggestions?
Be sure you use GOOD painter's tape. When I used some from the Dollar Store it didn't stick. Better quality tape was wonderful!
Old 10-18-2016, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

i only use painter's tape to put under the line on my ruler to mark the size I want to cut a strip. Like 4" line or whatever. I never mark lines on my quilts.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I use it to get the line straight and then put some pins through it to hold it in place.
I use blue painters tape all the time for diamond cross hatching. I use one strip (approx. 1 3/4" wide) on the 45 degree angle and pin in the middle, before sewing along both sides. Then before removing, use a spacer strip abutting on one side, before removing the first strip and reapplying next to the spacer. Pin, then remove the spacer. This way you can again sew on both sides of the second strip. I save the spacer and use it again and again.