Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
panic! how to get machine grease out of white quilt top? >

panic! how to get machine grease out of white quilt top?

panic! how to get machine grease out of white quilt top?

Old 06-04-2015, 12:54 PM
IQ2

Can you get it to the dry cleaner? They have the ability to get out all kinds of stains once you tell them what it's from.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:53 PM

I use the Resolve brand stain removing sticks on spots, and find it works very well. However, i have never tried it on black machine grease. I am so glad you didn't put the quilt in the dryer, because, in my opinion, that would set the stains forever.

Worst case, can you hand applique some of the fabric scraps over the spots?
Old 06-04-2015, 05:43 PM

Use Quick and Bright, it works wonders.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:10 PM

a combination of that stain stick....maybe grandma's, warm water, tide and hope, plus all your good thoughts. you need to look for the stains now.

PHEW!

and thank you!

i posted pictures of it in the picture gallery forum thingy, if you're curious

aileen
Old 06-05-2015, 03:06 AM

This sounds crazy, but grease takes out grease. My father was an automobile mechanic. My mother would put plain Criso shortening on the grease spots, then washed normally. It worked. She used the Crisco on any type of grease spot, such as cooking grease. I continued to use the Crisco until products such as Shout came on the market. Just make sure you use the plain white Crisco, not the yellow one, and make sure you put the Crisco only on the grease spots.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
This sounds crazy, but grease takes out grease. My father was an automobile mechanic. My mother would put plain Criso shortening on the grease spots, then washed normally. It worked. She used the Crisco on any type of grease spot, such as cooking grease. I continued to use the Crisco until products such as Shout came on the market. Just make sure you use the plain white Crisco, not the yellow one, and make sure you put the Crisco only on the grease spots.
Grease takes out grease! We used to use butter.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:55 AM

Huh, never heard the grease takes out grease thing before. I'll have to try that.

I have good luck with Grandma's spot remover. Somehow I got a black stain on a quilt I had made as a Christmas gift. Ink, I guess, but no clue where it came from; a spot about the size of a thumbprint. Regular washing didn't help, SHOUT didn't help. Grandma's took it right out, no trace of it once it was gone!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
My Dad was a farmer and serviced his own tractors getting black grease on his overalls. Mom used a degeaser that would remove the grease but left the black stain so she would rub shortening on the black grease then wash using the degreaser to remove the shortening. If she didn't remove the black grease by this method and just washed the pants, the black stains were there forever. She did not like him going to town in stained-up clothes and always fussed at us for not dressing up just to go to the tractor parts store!
Old 06-06-2015, 03:46 AM

Lestoil works wonders on grease stains, even after they have been washed and dried. DH and 5 sons have put it to the test many, many times.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:14 AM

A last effort would be white toothpaste rubbed gently into the offending areas.