Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pantograms for domestics? >

pantograms for domestics?

pantograms for domestics?

Old 07-24-2011, 04:33 PM

I am about to lose my mind. I can not afford to send my quilts out to be quilted. Isn't there some way to stitch a decent design on a quilt with your sewing machine. I drool over all the those fantastic feather designs. About all I can do is squiggle around. I have some beautiful tops I have made, but I can't bring myself to try to do any quilting on them. I wish I could find some nut out there that doesn't like to top, but loves quilting. I know, I'll win the Mega Lottery this week too! :roll:
Old 07-24-2011, 04:36 PM

I am going to win! tell you what, if I win, we will go shopping and buy two machines... one for you and one for me.. and if you win,you take me shopping... deal?

Originally Posted by Mona Lisa 2011
I am about to lose my mind. I can not afford to send my quilts out to be quilted. Isn't there some way to stitch a decent design on a quilt with your sewing machine. I drool over all the those fantastic feather designs. About all I can do is squiggle around. I have some beautiful tops I have made, but I can't bring myself to try to do any quilting on them. I wish I could find some nut out there that doesn't like to top, but loves quilting. I know, I'll win the Mega Lottery this week too! :roll:
Old 07-24-2011, 04:43 PM

you can quilt on a DSM you just have to go thru extra steps to set things up to your advantage.

start with building yourself one of these tables - this will give you a quilting space of 4-6 feet to rest your quilt on depending on the size table you use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS25v3ZTk0

then get a supreme slider and some sullivans silicon spray to spray the plastic table cloth when your quilt isn't sliding as nice as you'd like.

some people have great success with bobbin washers to prevent backlash but i've never noticed a difference.

finally you want a nice pair of well fitting gloves i like machingers best.

one you have everything set up and ready to go start with mug rugs, placements, etc and slowly work your way up to bigger pieces.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:44 PM

My friend taught me to trace my design onto Golden Threads (or tracing paper). Then tape it to your quilt. Using your walking foot, stitch slowly around it. It is kind of slow going, but turns out beautifully. Good luck and show us your work!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:49 PM

I have the same frustration. I got a table to hold my babylock machine. The hole for the machine is 1/2 inch too small. My brother cut the table for me. Now the machine is oddly shaped and there is a hole that the fabric falls into. So, I need to find something to cover the hole. Someone PM'd me about using plexiglass to cover the hole. for the life of me, i cant figure it out. So, I think I am going to get some foam to fill in the hole. I read about using different threads
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-136936-1.htm

and a supreme slider to aid in FMQ. I also watch the Leah Day videos and just ordered a book on FMQing. I also want to try some paper pantos. I think (emphasis on think) that you just attach paper to top of quilt, quilt over pattern and rip off paper.

Try this website for paper pantos: http://joeandjoz.com/jandj/content/j...lters-paradise

In summary, I am just as frustrated as you are and tend to only make quilts that can easily be done with a walking foot. I am going to watch this thread you started for more ideas as I will get to the point where I am great with FMQ on my domestic. Others have done it and so shall we!
Old 07-24-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by girliegirl
I am going to win! tell you what, if I win, we will go shopping and buy two machines... one for you and one for me.. and if you win,you take me shopping... deal?
Absolutely! we will quilt shop until we drop. AND do how to classes also..................... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Originally Posted by Mona Lisa 2011
Old 07-24-2011, 05:17 PM

paper pantos are meant for longarm quilting not quilting on a table.

the paper is to thick to stitch thru and rip away cleanly not to mention is would be extremely costly to buy enough pantos to cover the entire quilt to stitch thru.

you could buy a panto and trace the design on to golden threads paper and use that to stitch thru while sitting at a table and quilting.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the info on the paper pantos.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

Its is very possible to quilt your own quilt on your domestic machine. I've done all of mine that way. Its a little more trouble, but the sense of completeing it totally on your own is worth it to me and I just don't have the room or inclination to buy a LA right now. Here is a link to the one I'm finishing up right now.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-136439-1.htm
Old 07-24-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Its is very possible to quilt your own quilt on your domestic machine. I've done all of mine that way. Its a little more trouble, but the sense of completeing it totally on your own is worth it to me and I just don't have the room or inclination to buy a LA right now. Here is a link to the one I'm finishing up right now.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-136439-1.htm
Just looked at yours. Total inspiration for me to do FMQ on my Domestic Machine. Thanks!!