Paper piecing and foundation piecing question

Paper piecing and foundation piecing question

Old 05-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb M
You guys are too funny lol. Ok, here it is:

English paper piecing is the hexagony paper templates

Paper piecing is lines drawn on paper that you sew the fabric to

Foundation piecing, is using fabric as a foundation, with lines drawn on the fabric, done exactly same as paper piecing, only you dont tear away the fabric after like you do paper :) :) :) See im smart lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: no i can't, no i can't, no i cant.

Ninnie
Old 05-19-2009, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie

Foundation piecing, is using fabric as a foundation, with lines drawn on the fabric, done exactly same as paper piecing, only you dont tear away the fabric after like you do paper :) :) :) See im smart lol

Ninnie
LOL Yes you can yes you can! lol Paper piecing is the most brilliant thing ever invented, all you need is that light-bulb moment, and then you'll be hooked :)
Old 05-19-2009, 02:02 AM

I made my firat and only.. so far lap quilt by ENGLISH PAPER PIECING whereby I cut out triangles and squares from fabric and paper, leaving 1/4 inch seam allowance, the fabrci is tacked to the papers, then whipped stitched together.. once all the 'shapes' are stitched into blocks, and the blocks made up into the quilt.. you take out the tacking and papers, which come out easy... its a long task, but I enjoy this method as you can take it ' on the go' and sit and watch tv while doing something useful.. by this method I have made lots of patchwork cushions, tote bags, place mats. As yet... I have never tried machining!!! but will have to give it a go.. just scared :roll: the lap quilt I made was the Shoo Fly pattern block... binding and quilted by hand.. wish I could post pics though... :roll:
Old 05-19-2009, 03:05 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by elliemay
I made my firat and only.. so far lap quilt by ENGLISH PAPER PIECING whereby I cut out triangles and squares from fabric and paper, leaving 1/4 inch seam allowance, the fabrci is tacked to the papers, then whipped stitched together.. once all the 'shapes' are stitched into blocks, and the blocks made up into the quilt.. you take out the tacking and papers, which come out easy... its a long task, but I enjoy this method as you can take it ' on the go' and sit and watch tv while doing something useful.. by this method I have made lots of patchwork cushions, tote bags, place mats. As yet... I have never tried machining!!! but will have to give it a go.. just scared :roll: the lap quilt I made was the Shoo Fly pattern block... binding and quilted by hand.. wish I could post pics though... :roll:
Tell hubby if he makes you shelves for your fabric, you'll buy him a digital camera! (then you can use it - but don't tell him that:!) Good idea? Or not?! :wink: :D

K x
Old 05-19-2009, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie

Ninne, Yes you can! If you are close to Raleigh, let me know and I'll show you how it's done. Once you get the hang of it, it's fun, trust me!

Ninnie
Old 05-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

That is so sweet of you LoraJ, but I'm about 2 hours from Raleigh, so a long drive! In about 2 weeks, as soon as I get caught up with have toos, I am going to sit down and learn, will be posting many questions I'm sure, so stay handy! :D

Ninnie
Old 05-23-2009, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
I think I keep getting these all mixed up.

When you tack fabric to bits of paper, and then whipstitch the bits together (like hexagons) it's called paper piecing?

And when you draw lines on a bit of paper and sew the fabric straight to the paper with your machine it's called foundation piecing?
it's like this: paper piecing - you tear the paper off after you have finished sewing fabric to the paper. foundation piecing - you sew your fabric pieces to another piece of backing fabric, you leave that backing fabric on there of course and continue sewing both layers together to form your quilt top.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:45 AM

It is easier to do than explain! :?