Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
paper piecing wash away foundation paper >

paper piecing wash away foundation paper

paper piecing wash away foundation paper

Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 AM

Default paper piecing wash away foundation paper

What is the best kind of paper piecing wash away foundation paper. I would like to print it on my computer printer, paper piece, then wash away without tearing away any paper on the back. I would be using it on the Dear Jane blocks. I have seen several kinds what do you think works best?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 PM

Gads, that sounds expensive. If whatever you want to be printed out will fit, then this sounds like Sulky's fabricsolvy. I bought some to use for redwork and liked it.

ali
Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 AM

I love the Sulky fabricsolvy for embroidery, but I wouldn't use it for foundation piecing either. I would just use lightweight muslin and leave it in. I have a spiderweb quilt I am working on using the muslin.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 AM

Have you tried the no-tear method freezer paper piecing. You fold the paper and sew next to the fold, not on the paper. Your pattern templates will be reusable as long as they stick to the fabric.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:21 PM

I wouldn't use use muslin as a foundation fabric for a Dear Jane quilt. The blocks are so small with so many seams that I think the extra bulk would be a problem. I have used Paper solvy. I have heard of other people using a tear away water soluble stabilizer (don't know the name). With that they recommend removing the majority of it, and then the remaining bits wash away. I had bought a bolt of a supposedly disolvable stabilizer that I printed my quilting design on and quilted through. That was less than successful. It really did not disolve as well as the paper solvy.

However, I just found this link that might shed some light on the best choice to use.
http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...tabilizer.html
Old 04-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

the one that i use is Dritz Quilting WashAway foundation paper- it comes in packs of 10 or 25 sheets. my lqs orders it for me. it is fairly expensive- but for dj blocks which are small you may be able to get a couple blocks from one sheet.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 AM

Location: Originally from Hialeah Fl. Now in the Seattle area

I agree with hevemi --- freezer paper piecing is the only way I do it now. So much easier and less expensive than wash away paper.