Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing paper >

Paper piecing paper

Paper piecing paper

Old 11-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Here is a video that might be helpful. There are many tutorials out there to use.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...79&action=view

peace
Old 11-07-2016, 03:43 PM

I use cheap printer paper. I have a light right by my machine that I use to help place the first two pieces on the unprinted side. Then after I sew (I use a smaller stitch when pp) on the printed side I press and trim the pieces so that there are 1/4 inch seam allowance all sides Once you have it trimmed, it is easier to place the next piece. When I go to take off the paper, I moisten a Qtip and run it down the stitch line. If you let is sit for a few moments the paper under the stitches soften and pull off easily.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:04 PM

I use the Doodle Pad from Dollar Tree. It's like Carol Doaks or newsprint but slightly thicker. The pad comes in larger than 8.5 x 11 so I just cut it down with an old rotary cutter blade. When I run it thru my printer I have to do it one sheet at a time.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

I prefer vellum. I don't have a problem folding it. I use the lightweight translucent vellum. It goes through the printer just like regular paper and tears away without leaving bits.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:55 PM

Pre-scoring the lines on your paper pieces with a serated tracing wheel will help to make ripping the paper away from the seam easier.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:17 PM

Some people use doctor office exam table paper.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:58 AM

Carol Doak's paper is just newsprint, with a huge markup. I know---I bought some and took a sheet to a paper factory for identification. They sold me huge a 12" wide roll of newsprint for about $14. I calculated the cost to be a little less than a penny a sheet, and it will outlive me, I'm sure. I just slice off an 8" piece and it runs through my printer without having to cut it shorter to 11.5". Also, a tip to make sure your fabric is large enough---instead of trying to fold back the fabric a quarter inch along the seam line, fold the PAPER over the fabric and see if the shape on the paper covers the fabric! It's so easy and precise! Until I discovered that, I hated pp'ing because I was always missing a sliver of fabric somewhere once it was sewn and pressed in place. Now I love pp'ing!
Old 11-08-2016, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I don't fold back the fabric. I use the Add a Quarter ruler and it's simple to see if the fabric is over the line enough to cut the 1/4". The Add a Quarter rulers save tons of time and lots of frustrations. I'm surprised how many think these rulers are just fancy gimmicks. I wouldn't do paper piecing without them. Also there is a template for paper piecing called Add Enough, used to get the exact cut of fabric for pp. It's great if you don't want to waste a smidge. I'm not that desperate though. LOL
Old 11-08-2016, 06:51 AM

I am new to pp also. I have a light box but a window would work. I trace the back in pencil, or mirror it? does that make sense?
Old 11-08-2016, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I use tracing paper. I made a mistake and bought the 9x12, so I have to cut off 1/2" for it to go through my printer, but that's easy with the rotary cutter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
dunster, I like the price on the tracing paper, way better than 50/100 sheets of the Carol Doak. Can you tell me how the tracing paper compares to the newsprint type paper?