Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing fabric quantity >

Paper piecing fabric quantity

Paper piecing fabric quantity

Old 11-08-2016, 12:23 PM

Default Paper piecing fabric quantity

I knew I'd have waste when paper piecing, but wow,
It took almost 6.5 yards to do the white background of a 60x60 pinwheel quilt! I'll probably get to where i can use less fabric as i continue to learn pp, I sure hope so.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:08 PM

That seems like at least twice what you'd need, but it does depend on the size of the pinwheels and how much extra fabric you used on each piece. Either way, if you're making simple pinwheels this would not be my choice of method. Can you post a pic of what you're trying to do?
Old 11-08-2016, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

....... and the intricacy of the PP design makes a huge difference as to how much fabric is used.

KellyER201 ... At first I thought I was using a LOT more fabric that was necessary, then I decided I liked the pointy points, straight lines and all the benefits of PPing, and I decided it was more than worth it! Yes, you may discover as you go that you can use less fabric to accomplish the same ends. Take some time to surf around and see how PPing is done by others ... there are so many different ways and you may discover some different tricks that will be quite rewarding. Stick with the PPIng, and I am sure you will be glad you did!
Old 11-08-2016, 02:32 PM

When doing a pp quilt, I cut the pieces about an inch bigger than I need, but in the shape I need. Saves me sewing them the wrong way. My pea brain does not do it right otherwise.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:39 PM

If I am pp a repeatable shape, especially a triangle, I cut the fabric in strips just wider then I need and place the paper on the edge of the strip and alternate sides each time.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:11 PM

That's true, the blocks will be 12" finished, and 2/3 of each block is the background fabric that I used so much of. I'm not sure how to post a picture here. I'll have time this evening to try to figure it out. Thanks
Old 11-08-2016, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
If I am pp a repeatable shape, especially a triangle, I cut the fabric in strips just wider then I need and place the paper on the edge of the strip and alternate sides each time.
I did that on my last pp project and it worked really well.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

there is a paper piecing quilter out there with book that tells you what sizes of fabric to cut to make her designs. can't remember her name. three names though. she always got confused with someone else with close name. i got her book at a quilt show but never used it and gave it away. perhaps I should have kept it!
Old 11-09-2016, 10:11 AM

I don't think about fabric waste I care more about the finished product. There is a template available called Add Enough just for paper piecing fabric cutting. Scraps and bits can always be used for something else by someone else. Just post on here you tossed a bunch of scraps and hear the thuds of many fainting. LOL
Old 11-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Carol Doak is a ( queen of paper piecing ) with a great website/ blog. Lots of free blocks, tutorials and info to help you on your paper piecing journey. Even teaches you how to cut your fabrics for minimal waste.i love paper piecing, do a lot of it and generally only trim slivers of seam allowances thanks mainly to Carol.