Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
paper piecing question please help! >

paper piecing question please help!

paper piecing question please help!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Thank you Loretta :D:D:D

I had never heard of sewing and placing the fabrics on the front, that would be awkward....
Old 12-16-2009, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
...I recently discovered paper piecing with freezer paper. You do perforate the freezer paper but you do that so you can fold it back and stich right next to the paper instead of through it. The waxy coating on the paper sticks to your fabric just enough to stabalize it and comes off like a dream in one piece. You can then use the same pattern piece for multiple blocks. It's an awesome method. I wasn't sure I would like when I read through the instructions but once I tried it I really liked it. However with some of the PP patterns that have itsy bitsy teeny tiny pieces I think I will stick with traditional PP.
I use this method for the easier patterns but I learned the hard way that it doesn't work well for me when making a complicated block. The points simply wouldn't come out right and I ended up redoing the block in the regular manner. It's wonderful for those easier blocks though...which reminds me, I've a table runner I'm making with that technique that is going to become a UFO if I don't get back to it sometime soon. :oops:
Old 12-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

i agree that the freeze paper method has a limited function when paper piecing.

i find it works best with things that don't need to be paper pieced to begin with - once the block is complex with small pieces and bias pieces the entire process falls apart.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kluedesigns

i find it works best with things that don't need to be paper pieced to begin with - once the block is complex with small pieces and bias pieces the entire process falls apart.
Try using it to make a Mariners Compass or NY Beauty.

I have done split compasses (two colors on one ray of the compass) with surrounding circle of points like a NY Beauty. No way would I attempt either of these without paper piecing and the freezer paper method was what the author suggested and it worked great. Especially in the compass because you have to make 8 units to make a compass. And almost every piece is on the bias. So reusing the same pattern piece not only ensured all 8 pieces came out exactly the same but saved a great deal of time and effort. I don't agree that freezer paper piecing is limited to only using with blocks that don't need to be paper pieced. JMHO.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Banned

i'm not saying it isn't useful in some cases but i find it has limited use when working with 4 inch blocks that have pieces that are 1/4 finished.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by kluedesigns

Try using it to make a Mariners Compass or NY Beauty.

I have done split compasses (two colors on one ray of the compass) with surrounding circle of points like a NY Beauty. No way would I attempt either of these without paper piecing and the freezer paper method was what the author suggested and it worked great. Especially in the compass because you have to make 8 units to make a compass. And almost every piece is on the bias. So reusing the same pattern piece not only ensured all 8 pieces came out exactly the same but saved a great deal of time and effort. I don't agree that freezer paper piecing is limited to only using with blocks that don't need to be paper pieced. JMHO.
You sound like my girlfriend. She can use this method and have it mostly come out perfect no matter what the pattern. Me, if it has a lot of points, small pieces that come together in odd ways, and a lot of bias shapes, it won't work for me. I can't begin to tell you how frustrated I was and I find that the regular paper piecing method is the one I prefer for complicated PP blocks.