Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Paper Piecing Question

Paper Piecing Question

As I am new to this technique, I have been surfing the internet for patterns. I came across a designer (Cynthia England) whose patterns are beautiful. She refers to her technique as "picture piecing" where she cuts each little part of the pattern (she uses freezer paper) a part and then sews back together. Is it possible to use her patterns and do the traditional method of paper piecing, leaving the pattern as one whole piece and sewing the fabric to the overall pattern? I hope I explained myself clearly.

Thanks,
    Live life as an exclamation and not an explanation.

There is another famous Quilter who does this method. I saw her demo it on "quilt out loud" on qnntv. I just can't think of her name. She is a member of this board and has free patterns. I am guessing you can do it the regular way ut I am not talented enough to do it lol on my own.

bj
    I looked at her 2 free patterns..the train and the ice cream cone. I think you could do the paper piecing the regular way, but you'd have to do it in sections, then join the sections together. On the others, I'm not sure. I couldn't see the layout.
    If I'm too busy to quilt, something else has to go.

Blog Entries
    Paper piecing is new to me, and I want to learn how to do it. I have a Carol Doak book and all the talk about paper piecing on this site has inspired me to take another look.

Cynthia England's quilts use freezer paper but are not technically, paper-pieced. A friend did a lovely picture of hers but there was no way it could've been paper pieced the traditional way.

Quote Originally Posted by grammy of 6 View Post
    Paper piecing is new to me, and I want to learn how to do it. I have a Carol Doak book and all the talk about paper piecing on this site has inspired me to take another look.
    I am still learning this process. Here is a You'Tube video that someone suggested I watch. It is very basic and easy to follow. Also, the JANUARY BOM is a paper pieced block, you might want to go to that posting and give the block a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uaW2...re=uploademail

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!
    Linda

INTEGRITY ~ Doing the right thing even when no one is watching.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting this link. The video was very easy to follow.
    Nancy in western NY

Paper Piecing & Picture Piecing are 2 different tecniques.
    I've done both. You cannot leave the Picture Piecing pattern whole to Paper Piece (I tried).
    Try Picture Piecing it's fairly easy

Here's the Picture Piecing I've done
    "Glow In The Dark" Sneaky Ghost Wall Quilt
    FancyFoot