Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: rag quilt question

rag quilt question

Can you mix types of fabrics such as flannel and regular cotton for a rag quilt ? And what kind of batting does one use?
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I made one with green cotton fabric and red print corduroy. turned out great. i used Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 batting.

I have used poly, and suede of all kinds, crushed velvet I have even used lace over a color I wanted to tone down a bit.. You can put anything in the middle you want, no one will ever see it. If you want to save some cash, used flannel is perfect.
    I love to quilt.

I make them with flannel on both sides, no batting (although sometimes I use 3 layers of flannel), and often mix in some corduroy.

I've mixed regular cotton and flannels with no problems. I use my regular batt that I've saved odds and ends of in the middle. That way, no waste of those little pieces.

I use flannel, or homespun fabrics, with warm and natural in the middle
    Dyan

Great question! I had been wondering the same thing.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    If I use just flannel I use flannel front and back with nothing in the middle. If I combine flannel and cotton I use a layer of flannel in the middle as well. Don't use batting.
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

Blog Entries
    i mix regular cottons & flannel for rag quilts all the time- since i make square sandwiches i use what ever batting scraps i have- put the 3 layers together- quilt an X across each one then join into rows- then into a quilt- works out great every time
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I made one for my son that had a hunting/fishing theme to it. I mixed cotton and flannel on the top and used leftover flannel from when I made flannel shirts for the back. I used fleece in between the layers. That thing is WARM! He and his wife love it. They are penny pinching college students again and keep their heat low to save money.

He gets that penny pinching honestly. I have saved all of the corners from those tied fleece blankets that everyone made for year. Those are what I used as my "batting".

Blog Entries
    I made a rag quilt and the top was 100% cotton and I used flannel for the batting and backing. I didn't cut the batting flannel into smaller squares because I wanted more "ragging". I cut all three layers together with my Accuquilt Go Rag die so they were all put together and all I had to do was sew them together. Worked well.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I use anything that will fray nicely...for batting I use scraps of fleece, but my next one I intend to use an old flannel sheet - it will have three layers all cut the same size - should fray beautifully.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I use three layers of flannel and cut with my GO rag die.. Comes out nice and fluffy..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    i mix regular cottons & flannel for rag quilts all the time- since i make square sandwiches i use what ever batting scraps i have- put the 3 layers together- quilt an X across each one then join into rows- then into a quilt- works out great every time
    Do you have any pictures of the front AND back of this? I keep reading how it's done, but am trying to figure out if it's "frayed" top and bottom, or just the top.... ie: how are the squares sewn together?
    ~~Fabric Resource Center...now does that sound more impressive than "Fabric Junkie" ?~~

Blog Entries
    Bumping this....
    ~~Fabric Resource Center...now does that sound more impressive than "Fabric Junkie" ?~~

Thanks for all the answers!

Blog Entries
    I have used all kinds of fabrics and I use warm and natural batting.
    Bonnie

I normally use cotton for top and flannel for inside & back -- all cut same size. I don't use warm n natural as we live in Texas; we have almost no winter, lol. But even in the North, the three layers seem to be fine.

Blog Entries
    Good luck with your rag quilt. I've mixed materials in the past. I made a tactile rag quilt for a child with special needs. It had polyester, jean material, soft, coarse, and everything in between! Shrank just fine. I also used 100% cotton batting.
    Go forth and sew!