Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing question >

Paper piecing question

Paper piecing question

Old 10-09-2014, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

pictures would help me a lot. Please!!??
Originally Posted by Quilter 65 View Post
\

I think I get it, but do you have pictures to share? This sounds like it could be so for me to do. I had one recently that about drove me to drink something beside Mountain Dew. So challenging and I am working on stars right now. So anything to make it simpler. Pictures??? Please?????
Old 10-09-2014, 07:47 AM

I use the mallet method, but I use a small hammer and wooden cutting board. The mallet does not have to be a heavy one, any hammer works. It DOES get rid of a lot of frustrations!!! lol
Sue
Old 10-09-2014, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Ha! Ha! Ha! I love the idea of whacking it with a big mallet. What a stress reliever.
I agree with THAT
Old 10-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
I have a paper piecing confession that is my answer to your question - when i have 8 pieces meeting - i make a slight change to the star/compass pattern. I've never tried to explain it before, so hope this makes sense.

After sewing the 2 pieces that make up the 1/4 block - i sew an extra piece at an angle across the center point position in a way that is pleasing to the look of the rest of the star/compass. Then i cut off the fabric underneath. This gives me only a normal simple 4 piece for the join at the center of the final block.

I confess - i just got tired of fighting the "bumps" in the middle....life's too short and i figure it makes my blocks totally unique (ok - that part's just what i tell myself, but i'm sticking to it)
Do you end up with something like this?
Attached Thumbnails graph.jpeg  
Old 10-09-2014, 09:17 AM

I don't have any blocks made - but here's what i would do with the PP compass block...Hope this helps explain it.
Glad you all think it's a good idea...i almost didn't post because i was afraid people would think it was stupid. The colored part is what i would add to turn the 8 joins into only 4
Attached Thumbnails pp-fix.jpg  
Old 10-09-2014, 09:28 AM

That's the most creative change I've seen in a long time. And it goes perfectly with everything else.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:54 AM

I may try this. I have a Dahlia pattern that calls for a star in the middle that has 16 pieces to meet and was worried about the bulk. I had thought of just cutting the center out and appliqueing a circle over the hole.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:18 PM

PenniF...THANK YOU!!! I've shied away from compass/star PP patterns for the bulk issue, now I have a great solution.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:24 AM

U have just created a new pattern with that little angle....CLEVER!!!!!
Old 10-10-2014, 05:43 AM

That is absolutely brilliant. Thank you for sharing this - am going to do it too!!
Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
I have a paper piecing confession that is my answer to your question - when i have 8 pieces meeting - i make a slight change to the star/compass pattern. I've never tried to explain it before, so hope this makes sense.

After sewing the 2 pieces that make up the 1/4 block - i sew an extra piece at an angle across the center point position in a way that is pleasing to the look of the rest of the star/compass. Then i cut off the fabric underneath. This gives me only a normal simple 4 piece for the join at the center of the final block.

I confess - i just got tired of fighting the "bumps" in the middle....life's too short and i figure it makes my blocks totally unique (ok - that part's just what i tell myself, but i'm sticking to it)