Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
paper piecing >

paper piecing

paper piecing

Old 03-18-2010, 04:00 PM

is there a difference between paper piecing and English paper piecing?
Old 03-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I think so.

With English paper piecing you first baste the fabric pieces to a paper template, turning under the edges, then do a "whip stitch" to hand sew the pieces together at the edges. You do not catch the paper in your stitches, and remove the paper template later.

With regular paper piecing, the pattern is printed on paper. You place fabrics on the paper pattern, turn everything over, and machine sew with a very short stitch along the seam line from the back. It's kind of a "flip and sew" method. You need very short stitches so the paper is easy to remove later, because you are machine sewing right through both the paper and fabrics.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:35 PM

check out paper piecing paradise in the virtual section for all of your english and paper piecing needs and questions!! you can find a lot of information over there and lots of wonderful inspiration too.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by montanaquilter
check out paper piecing paradise in the virtual section for all of your english and paper piecing needs and questions!! you can find a lot of information over there and lots of wonderful inspiration too.
Where can I find this section? I just completed my very first paper pieced project and I really enjoyed it. Need to know any information I can find on the subject.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:52 AM

Yes, they are different.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Old man- New quilter
Where can I find this section? I just completed my very first paper pieced project and I really enjoyed it. Need to know any information I can find on the subject.
At the top of this page click on HOME, then scroll down the listings until you come to PAPER PIECING PARADISE, there are tons of ideas here!!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Old man- New quilter
At the top of this page click on HOME, then scroll down the listings until you come to PAPER PIECING PARADISE, there are tons of ideas here!!
You have to look in the heading "All user defined sections" to find Paper Piecing Paradise.