Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piercing >

Paper Piercing

Paper Piercing

Old 07-20-2013, 02:00 PM

Carol Doak is my pp idol. Took classes from her, bought her dvd which is the way to go if you ant be with her in person. She also has a yahoo group with tons of info, challenges, swaps, pattern, BOMs etc. I dont think any pp pattern of hers is hard. All the same method just different size pieces. One think I really like about Carols oatterns is she tells you how big to cut pieces so you dont waste fabric or undercut. I must say though that I cut pieces a little bigger and if a piece says for example something and follows with some 8th (i.e. 2 7/8 or 5/8 etc) I cut up to the next whole number. Dont like dealing with eighths. Just my quirk.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

Echoing the love for Carol Doak. My avatar is one of hers, & I am nearly finished with a 24" X24" center (for the Round Robin going on now here on the board) using one of her patterns. They are the BOMB!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:30 PM

I have learned strip paper piecing from Peggy Martin and all shapes paper piecing from Carol Doak. Her video is wonderful as are her books because she includes a CD which allows you to print from your computer and choose the size you want to make your patterns, which is so great. Both ladies are very excellent teachers and each have a wonderful Craftsy class. Try it, the accuracy is so gratifying, and the results - well I've been so happy with each project!
Old 07-20-2013, 09:56 PM

I think the hardest thing is the first 2 pieces place right sides facing then flip next makes sense. Always keep lines on the top, fabric below . It is very useful to fold on all the sewing lines either before you start or before each new piece goes on. This fold will also help to cutoff the seam allowance and then place next piece.
You can either hand or machine . It is a handy project or carrying around.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:56 AM

CaRol taught me to use postcards. One side is slick and one side is less slick. Using the latter one with non slick side down the card stays in pace with no slipping and that with the Add a Quarter is a winning combination.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:58 AM

PP is very addictive, once you get the basic idea of how to do it. Carol Doaks' books and CDs are great
Old 07-21-2013, 03:39 AM

Thanks for all the tips this PP is something I have been wanting to try but I have been a little skittish of trying. I will follow the suggestions about Carol Doak and check out her website. Thanks everyone for your posts.
I can always find encouragement on this QB and it is the BOMB.
Pat
Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 AM

thank you! My bf just ordered one of her books for me :-) I can't wait to try it!!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 AM

If you are going to start out with a small project like a wall hanging, placemats or table runner, I suggest you use the June Tailor Perfect Piecing sheets instead of paper. They are nonwoven sheets (much like interfacing) that you can run through either an ink jet or a lazer printer. You can see both sides of the design, which makes placing your fabric much easier. It makes your finished piece a little stiff, since you don't have to remove it, which is why I only recommend it for non-quilt projects. This is a free block from Carol Doak's website

. [ATTACH=CONFIG]425513[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2009-07-13-c.doak-mini.jpg   2010-xmas-r-scharnberg.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 10:46 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Go to YouTube and type in 'Carol Doak's Paper Piecing' and up will pop her DVD (you don't have to buy it) on how to paper piece. It is so easy! My mentor sent me her DVD and I now love to paper piece. A friend sent me Carol's paper piecing paper and I have the 'Add a Quarter' ruler and a postcard and I'm all set. Try it and I know you'll love it. Craftsy's free BOM 2012 by Amy Gibson has a month where she teaches you how to paper piece, but Carol's YouTube is much, much, much better.