Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pattern to use 4.5in pictures?

pattern to use 4.5in pictures?

I'm going to make a baby quilt for a friend who's expecting a boy, and my starting point is some great fabric with 4.5in square pictures of cars, trucks etc. in bright colours. I want a straightforward pattern that will make the most of the pictures. Any ideas? And what size do you make a baby quilt?

How many pictures do you have? I think baby quilts are about 45 x 60? That may be pretty big, but if you make them too small, they are useless. ;-)
    Put a sashing between the squares and see how big it is, add a border or two and it will be good to go.

Power Poster
    If you type in Granville Ohio Quilt Show into the search box there is a really cute children's quilt with bright train, cars and planes. It is about half way down the pictures? You might like to do something similar?

mem
    Of course, you can always do the quilt that alternates your focus squares with a four patch; in that case it's easy to alter the four patch to finish at the size of your focus squares.

Warm Wishes uses good-sized squares; you can always alter the block with the three strips to the 4.5 inches you want your focus square to be.

Although it uses 5 inch block centers, I think Stars of Hope on the Robert Kaufman site is a darling quilt if you don't have too many focus squares: http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...stars_of_hope/

I cut my I Spy fabrics to 4 1/2" and 6 1/2". Check out Maryquilts.com for a great pattern Happy Blocks. The squares can be bordered with 1 1/2" or 2 1/2" strips of tone on tone or plain fabrics, then set together.

Be sure to show us a picture when it's finished. New Moms always love a qift made by the giver and she will be thrilled wtih your quilt.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

This is one I did for a little girl using Beatrix Potter squares!
    Hilary

Thankyou for the suggestions. I've got lots of the picture squares to play with. Warm Wishes looks like a possibility, because I also bought 3 fabrics that tone with the colours in the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK View Post
    This is one I did for a little girl using Beatrix Potter squares!
    Sorry for some reason my pictures have now disappeared and now won't reload!!!! How frustrating!!!
    Hilary

Be sure to show us a picture when it's finished. New Moms always love a qift made by the giver and she will be thrilled wtih your quilt.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast