Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
patterns- Instructions >

patterns- Instructions

patterns- Instructions

Old 01-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Default patterns- Instructions

when I get a pattern, I prefer that it says to "cut 200 4inch squares of color A"
to instructions that say "cut 20 strips width of fabric, then subcut each strip into 4inch squares."

Do you have preferences to how things are written? Or that are easier for you to understand?
Old 01-19-2016, 01:34 PM

I prefer the second way, too - everyone cuts differently! I always read through the cutting directions before my rotary cutter touches the fabric - and usually re-write those directions to my liking. My patterns always have notes written all over them, lol!
Old 01-19-2016, 01:38 PM

Nice if it reads: cut 4" strips, subcut the strips into 4"squares - need 400 for pattern......or wording to that effect.

What at I really dislike is cutting fabric into odd fractioned measurements...I usually round up to next easiest number - whole or fraction, then trim down after constructed.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:41 PM

This: "cut 200 4 inch squares of color A" is what I would probably prefer, but either works.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
I prefer the second way, too - everyone cuts differently! I always read through the cutting directions before my rotary cutter touches the fabric - and usually re-write those directions to my liking. My patterns always have notes written all over them, lol!
I have notes all over the patterns and I also write directions on a notepad, just encase I want to make the pattern again.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

I think the writer is concerned about the various widths of fabric. I still have some RK Kona cotton that is actually 45" wide. I usually do my own calculation and cut the number of strips.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:11 PM

I have my own "rules" and often re-write directions to suit me LOL. I like the 2nd option to cut in to rows, then subcut to squares. One reason is that if I have a long length of yardage, it quickly gives me an idea of how much to cut off first to make it easier to handle. I also prefer directions to be in list or bullet format, not paragraph. I like to check off as I go along, since I often get interrupted.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:19 PM

I agree that a list is much easier to deal with than a paragraph. I tend to 'speed read' thru directions and hate searching for a specific instruction amid all their wordiness. I have often re-written the directions for myself so that I too can check off each step as I complete it.

As far as cutting x amount of strips and subcutting or the total number of specific squares needed--I would actually like to have both pieces of info just in case I decided to make the pattern with more than the specified colours.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

most of the patterns that I use are on the computer... i prefer not to have a lot of paper around. and with my eyes, reading the computer is easier than paper. i read through the pattern several times until i understand it. then i simply jot the cutting directions on a small slip of paper that i take to the cutting table. so, it doesn't really matter which way it is written, i'll always write it down my way.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:42 PM

I agree with Geri B.
"Make (200) 4" squares: Cut 20 strips width of fabric, then subcut each strip into 4" squares"

That way if my fabric is an odd width or I buy fat quarters or whatnot, I can make it work. Although I have to say, the worst pattern I've ever had was based on fat quarters. It said to cut strips from the fat quarters & then subcut equilateral triangles. I rarely buy fat quarters since it's nearly impossible to square them up. I spent an hour trying to figure out how much WOF inches I needed to cut into strips for each of the (15???) fabrics the pattern called for in order to make that 1,000 pyramid quilt. Never. Again.