Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
patterns- Instructions >

patterns- Instructions

patterns- Instructions

Old 01-19-2016, 04:19 PM

I hate when the directions say to cut a square into 2 7/8. Why don't they just say to make hst's that are 2 1/2 inches? Would make life easier.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:41 PM

I have learned NEVER to cut out the entire project before making a block first. Sometimes I find a mistake in the measurements or directions. Sometimes I don't like the fabric(s) I picked and switch them out.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:51 PM

I agree Peckish -- sometimes those measurements just don't work. I prefer to know how many pieces are needed as well as the size of strips, but I have made a whole 3 color twin sized quilt and the largest piece was a fat quarter. If I find a fat quarter I like on sale I will sometimes buy several yards worth of fat quarters.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:13 PM

I prefer the second with the addition how many squares you need it total. The number of stripes helps me to decide if I have enough of fabric A especially if I'm using my stash.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:09 AM

Like Cindi, I do not cut anything until I have read through all the pattern and cutting instructions and I usually do as Peckish does... make a trial block before cutting all the fabric.

I took a class from Doug Leko last spring (designer for Antler's Design) wherein he had us precut all our fabric pieces prior to class... I crossed my fingers during the assembly but they came together nicely.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:24 AM

If you are working with a kit...better follow the cutting exactly....a Craftsy Fassett kit left me with a 16th of an inch slice off final strip.....that was scary. IF you are confident the pattern gave you "fudge" room, cut the way you want.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:28 AM

There are many things to consider when cutting the pieces for a quilt. I prefer that the pattern say I need 400 4 inch squares. I prefer to cut lengthwise borders on the lengthwise grain; therefore, when I cut crosswise pieces to subcut my tally will be different. Also, if I have scraps of that fabric I will try to cut pieces from the scraps before cutting into the bigger pieces. I carefully label all cuts and groups of cut pieces so I don't make silly mistakes as I work. I use plastic bags to store my labeled pieces in. When I have stitched components I put the labels in the upper left corner and use a bigger plastic bag to store them in. I need all the help I can give myself to avoid goofs. I keep lots of notes and reminders as I go.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
I prefer the second way, too - everyone cuts differently! I always read through the cutting directions before my rotary cutter touches the fabric - and usually re-write those directions to my liking. My patterns always have notes written all over them, lol!
Me too. Like learning Algebra, the brain interprets the instructions differently.
Sandy
Old 01-20-2016, 05:29 AM

Lady Diana, I agree with you about the Craftsy kits. While very nicely priced (especially when you get them on sale), when the kit list says 3/8 yard of Fabric A, there will be exactly 3/8 yard and not a thread more. Very scary if you have to straighten the fabric too. I found myself actually skimping on strips--just by a thread or two each time--and I still had less than an inch left at the end of cutting 2 yards worth of strips.

Just a heads up for anyone planning on using their kits.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:39 AM

I don't like when a pattern assumes I'm using FQ's and tells me to cut a strip WOF or LOF then sub-cut. I have all different sizes of fabric so I have to add up all the squares then cut according to my WOF or LOF. I'd prefer to have them say "cut x number of 2" squares."