Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns for Silk Dupioni Quilt >

Patterns for Silk Dupioni Quilt

Patterns for Silk Dupioni Quilt

Old 04-24-2011, 05:12 AM

Debby Maddy has a silk table runner pattern. I took her workshop and she has some great really light weight fusible stabilizer she uses on the back of the silk pieces before she cuts. It was an amazing workshop and the ravelling was next to nothing using her stabilizer.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:13 AM

Morning and Happy Easter! I posted the silk question yesterday and want to thank everyone one for the great info on that thread as well as this thread. I never woulda thought of fray check...thanks for that post I'll have to experiment with that. Cherry House Quilts has (in my opinion) great patterns that would easily lend themselves to silk piecing. In fact she has one pattern that was pieced with silk and its beutiful. I am curious about how a silk quilt would quilt up on a long arm. Does anyone have pictures of a silk quilt after its been quilted that they could post?
Thanks for your post I've learned so much,
Mikki
Old 04-24-2011, 06:32 AM

Crazy quilting comes to mind...these are the fabrics I use. Does anyone out there crazy quit?????? It is becoming an obsession with me.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Grambi
Has anyone used a fusible web on the back and if so, what kind. I would think that it would have to be very light, like maybe Mistyfuse (which is kind of high dollar). Maybe there is another, less expensive kind.

Also have any of you ever used the silk with cotton. Grann of 6 used silk velvet on the back. I wonder if the velvet could be used in piecing on the front.

Just brainstorming here.
I recently made a quilt using fabrics from my mom's stash. I estimate that some dated back to the 30's. Each block had an appliqued flower in it. Since some of the fabrics were very loosely woven I backed each flower with Pellon SF101. It is a very light weight, woven interfacing. I use this a lot on bags and things like that. I bought it at Joanns. Check it out and see if something like this would work.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:21 AM

I do machine embroidery and Hatched in Africa made a gorgeous embroidered silk dupioni quilt. I bought some and decided to wash it. I actually like it much better washed. On the other hand I just finished a silk tie quilt. I used some iron on light weight stabilizer I got from JoAnn's. It made all the difference in the world. Now the silk I used for sashing was expensive and aged me more than I can say. Those threads just crawled out of the seams and were all over the place. I'm a quilter, I'm used to threads - but not like this OMG!!!! The quilt turned out great.
Judi
Old 04-24-2011, 08:48 AM

Fantastic question, I too would like to do something patchwork with silk duponi. Especially the irredessent ones.
Have read what there is here & will be watching for others.
Thank you everyone.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
Grambi,

I am thinking about doing one with this pattern http://www.cluckclucksewpatterns.com...g-squares.html

I saw one in a shop that was simply gorgeous. The outside squares and inside squares alternated between light and dark colors, with no white. It was so rich looking and feeling.

Good luck.

Heidi
That pattern could be interesting with a variety of fabrics in the squares, including silk and some velvets. Almost like a crazy quilt, but tamer. Thanks for putting the link up,.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by love4westies
Crazy quilting comes to mind...these are the fabrics I use. Does anyone out there crazy quit?????? It is becoming an obsession with me.
I have been working on months on a project called "Wool
Crazy" by JoAnn Mullaly. It is a wool crazy quilt with wool applique. Learning embroidery as I go. I would post a link but don't really know how to get it from there to here, however you can google her. I haven't done a traditional crazy quilt, but love looking at them and would like to start one some day. Of course, i would have to stop spending so much time on this site:)
Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Banned

I helped a friend do an art quilt using dupioni, and we used fusible interfacing on the back. We used a light weight Pellon and fused it to the back. It really helped control the fraying and it gave a different feel to the silk. Her quilt turned out beautifully. When we ran into a little problem spot, we tried to use a little Fray Check, but it left a stain on the dupioni. So we abandoned that idea.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
I helped a friend do an art quilt using dupioni, and we used fusible interfacing on the back. We used a light weight Pellon and fused it to the back. It really helped control the fraying and it gave a different feel to the silk. Her quilt turned out beautifully. When we ran into a little problem spot, we tried to use a little Fray Check, but it left a stain on the dupioni. So we abandoned that idea.
Did the interfacing make the silk stiff at all and did it lose any of its subtle shine and soft feel. I should experiment I guess but I wanted to get as much info as possible before I began.
Thanks
Mikki