Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Patterns for Silk Dupioni Quilt

Fantastic question, I too would like to do something patchwork with silk duponi. Especially the irredessent ones.
    Have read what there is here & will be watching for others.
    Thank you everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
    Grambi,

I am thinking about doing one with this pattern http://www.cluckclucksewpatterns.com...g-squares.html

I saw one in a shop that was simply gorgeous. The outside squares and inside squares alternated between light and dark colors, with no white. It was so rich looking and feeling.

Good luck.

Heidi
    That pattern could be interesting with a variety of fabrics in the squares, including silk and some velvets. Almost like a crazy quilt, but tamer. Thanks for putting the link up,.

Quote Originally Posted by love4westies
    Crazy quilting comes to mind...these are the fabrics I use. Does anyone out there crazy quit?????? It is becoming an obsession with me.
    I have been working on months on a project called "Wool
    Crazy" by JoAnn Mullaly. It is a wool crazy quilt with wool applique. Learning embroidery as I go. I would post a link but don't really know how to get it from there to here, however you can google her. I haven't done a traditional crazy quilt, but love looking at them and would like to start one some day. Of course, i would have to stop spending so much time on this site:)

Banned
    I helped a friend do an art quilt using dupioni, and we used fusible interfacing on the back. We used a light weight Pellon and fused it to the back. It really helped control the fraying and it gave a different feel to the silk. Her quilt turned out beautifully. When we ran into a little problem spot, we tried to use a little Fray Check, but it left a stain on the dupioni. So we abandoned that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by the casual quilter
    I helped a friend do an art quilt using dupioni, and we used fusible interfacing on the back. We used a light weight Pellon and fused it to the back. It really helped control the fraying and it gave a different feel to the silk. Her quilt turned out beautifully. When we ran into a little problem spot, we tried to use a little Fray Check, but it left a stain on the dupioni. So we abandoned that idea.
    Did the interfacing make the silk stiff at all and did it lose any of its subtle shine and soft feel. I should experiment I guess but I wanted to get as much info as possible before I began.
    Thanks
    Mikki

I you use a light weight fusible interfacing it will not be stiff...A favorite of some teachers is knit fusible.....I think Pellon calls it fusi-knit.

Go to Sharon Boggen's website and you will see some incredible stuff and a stitch library for learning stitches. ..her quilts are pieces of art rather than usable quilts....silk ribbon and beads on them...gorgeous.

I have nver seen the wool crazy quilts...very interesting....do you follow Sue Spargo? Her stuff is good too in wool.

Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves
    I see you are from Spring Branch, TX--the quilt store in Kerrville, TX did carry the dupioni silk and I think patterns where this type was used. You might try contacting them, its been a year since I was there so don't know how things have changed.
    They still do. One of my all-time favorite quilt stores. If any of you ever get the opportunity, stop in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Grambi
    Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves
    I see you are from Spring Branch, TX--the quilt store in Kerrville, TX did carry the dupioni silk and I think patterns where this type was used. You might try contacting them, its been a year since I was there so don't know how things have changed.
    They still do. One of my all-time favorite quilt stores. If any of you ever get the opportunity, stop in there!
    Whats the name of the place?
    Mikki

Quote Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio
    I do machine embroidery and Hatched in Africa made a gorgeous embroidered silk dupioni quilt. I bought some and decided to wash it. I actually like it much better washed. On the other hand I just finished a silk tie quilt. I used some iron on light weight stabilizer I got from JoAnn's. It made all the difference in the world. Now the silk I used for sashing was expensive and aged me more than I can say. Those threads just crawled out of the seams and were all over the place. I'm a quilter, I'm used to threads - but not like this OMG!!!! The quilt turned out great.
    Judi
    What or who is Hatched in Africa? I would love to see this quilt. Could you send a link if it is on a website? Thanks

The Kerville quilt shop is called "Creations" and they have a website: Creations.com.

Sue Spargo's stuff is so neat! Really gives a bright, refreshing change to wool projects. I would love to attend one of her workshops some day.

Thanks...I'm getting excited, and can't wait to begin. I so dont wanna do my homework today (but it's due tomorrow),can't I just quilt?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PolkaBabe
    Fantastic question, I too would like to do something patchwork with silk duponi. Especially the irredessent ones.
    Thank you everyone.
    Thought you might like to see a better pic of the silk quilt I made. This shows the sheen of the silks, the 2nd pic is the velvet back. I made my own template for the twister. I bound it with bias velvet interfaced and hand stitched to the back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Thank you everyone.
    Thought you might like to see a better pic of the silk quilt I made. This shows the sheen of the silks, the 2nd pic is the velvet back. I made my own template for the twister. I bound it with bias velvet interfaced and hand stitched to the back.
    Is that Duponi Silk?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edensgaite
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Thank you everyone.
    Is that Duponi Silk?
    Yes, it is all Dupioni Silk, some of it irridescent. The white border is the silk taffeta left from the wedding gown I made for my DDIL 20 years ago. There are 51 different colors in it. It is the most sumptious feeling thing you have ever felt!

Gran of 6, thanks for the larger picture. It was hard to see in the avatar. That is so beautiful. Makes me want to snuggle up by a fire except of course it is going to be in the 90's here today:)
    I bought the template for twisters a few days ago. I like how it looks in your colors and with the silk.

Hi, Here is a link to some of my quilts made out of silk dupioni. The first ten are silk, the rest are cotton. I use fray check on all the cut edges. The applique ones were turned edge applique and it is a lot harder to get a smooth edge than with cotton. I had to outline embroider the edges to make it look smooth. It is pretty easy to do paper piecing with silk dupioni. I think Amish style patterns look nice and even when you use a traditional pattern it looks really contemporary with silk.
    http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc483/sunbury3/
    I hope this works! I just learned how to link something.

Thank you Grann of 6.

Thank all of you, so much for all the info on silk. It is something that I have put on my wish list, but never knew where to find out more about it, till now. Thank you again.

Great quilts Sunbury. Were they hand or machine quilted?

They're machine quilted. I have heard of people hand quilting silk dupioni but I find it's too loosely woven.

I am making a crazy quilt out of dupioni silk, satin, brocades and velvet. It is a long project but I will try to show some pics later as I finish some blocks. I saved silk from previous projects and, of course, I had to buy more than I can ever use so I will probably end up making two quilts. My sister would love that! But for now, one is enough as it is a lot going on in each block. But what fun.

Sunbury, I just looked at your quilts again and they are amazing! Are they all your designs? I keep trying to decide which is my favorite but can't do it--too many are my favorite. Thank you for posting the link.

My avatar is made of dupioni silk entirely. I used a very thin fusable on the back of the silk before I cut my pieces. After that I didn't do anything differently than I would on any quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    My avatar is made of dupioni silk entirely. I used a very thin fusable on the back of the silk before I cut my pieces. After that I didn't do anything differently than I would on any quilt.
    Gorgeous jewel tones!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast