Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns using Batik Fabric >

Patterns using Batik Fabric

Patterns using Batik Fabric

Old 06-17-2019, 08:25 AM

Default Patterns using Batik Fabric

Hello, I have 2 layer cakes called Artisan Batik Solids-Prisma Dyes Royalty and one pkg of white Kona cotton. Any ideas for a pattern. My niece is getting married and I would like to make a quilt for them. Appreciate any ideas as I have not used batiks before.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:38 AM

You don't need any specific patterns for batiks. Use any pattern made for cottons. Batiks can made a ho hum pattern look gorgeous, much the same way bacon can make a ho hum casserole scrumptious, lol.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:20 AM

Look at MSQC web site. Jenny had patterns based on pre-cut sizes so it's easy to find something that matches patterns/pre-cuts.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:49 AM

I agree with JustAbitCrazy in that you can make any pattern you would like out of Batiks. Also, Donna Jordan of Jordan Fabrics has a lot of patterns that she makes with Batiks. She has a lot of tutorials that I love to watch.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:33 PM

JustaBitCrazy is totally correct--and love the analogy by the way!
Old 06-17-2019, 07:27 PM

Batiks are wonderful, Edyta Sitar used to always incorporate some batiks in all her quilts. I like to mix them with other cotton prints but all batiks are nice too
Old 06-18-2019, 05:42 AM

I would be cautious using batiks with a Kona white, in my experience batiks tend to "bleed" out their extra dye and I think the white fabric might act like a "magnet" for that. Just my opinion.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
Batiks are wonderful, Edyta Sitar used to always incorporate some batiks in all her quilts. I like to mix them with other cotton prints but all batiks are nice too

I made Edyta's "Rainbow Star" a few months back. It is wonderful with batiks. In my opinion there was a mistake in the sewing the strips together, so be careful if you choose to use it. It was my first star quilt, so maybe I didn't fully understand her instructions. I have been quilting for over 25 years and was confidant enough that I sewed my strips different than suggested. It turned out great. It is not a large quilt, so if you are wanting something that will fit a bed you should choose something else or add borders.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:28 PM

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I haven't done a lot of quilting so will watch some of the suggested sites. Appreciate the help.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:11 AM

Can someone explain the difference to me between batik and kona fabrics? Are they different fiber weaves? I don’t think they’re brand names...

They seem popular but I’m not entirely sure why. (I hope I didn’t offend anyone.) Keeping in mind I haven’t been quilting all that long, I went to a local fabric shop and spent an arm and a leg on either batik or kona fabrics and didn’t like them and wouldn’t buy them again. The problem is, I can’t remember which one I bought.

I like a crisp look when it’s pressed but didn’t get that from the fabric. Directly after the pressing it looked fine but as the fabric cooled, it took on a little frumpy look but that might be that perfectionist tendency in me, too. It looks terrific in the store but not so much after washing.

This particular fabric shop has about 10,000 bolts of this stuff so it must be me.