Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pens used to write on quilts >

pens used to write on quilts

pens used to write on quilts

Old 07-09-2008, 04:42 AM

pigma pens here too!! Most scrapbooking shops carry them too like Michaels etc .
Old 07-09-2008, 04:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bebe
Right on Dodie pigma pens are the best!!!!!!
What does a pigma pen look like?I'll have to find one. On my quilt I'm finishing now, I used a reg. pen lightly, then went over it in hand embroidery
Old 07-09-2008, 04:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nor'easter
Pigma pens use pigment based ink instead of dye based ink. They don't bleed through thin paper or fabric and are archival. Here's the maker website: http://www.sakuraofamerica.com/Pen-Archival

I did not see them on the Office Depot website, but you can get them at Joann's, at most quilting shops (local and online), and at art supply stores. I get mine from Dick Blick for the variety of colors and sizes he carries. http://www.dickblick.com/zz207/02/.
Thanks for the link I now know what to look for :)
Old 07-09-2008, 05:23 AM

Our quilting group has been doing friendship quilts. We do a rail fence with muslin for the sigs. I iron the muslin on freezer paper and then put it on sandpaper and the writing is still scratchy and looks like your a very old person!!
What are we doing wrong? Of course some peoples writing it turns out fine. they seem to have the nack.
suggestions please.

Have a great day.
simple quilter
Old 07-09-2008, 06:08 AM
Banned

I print out my label on paper using the fonts, spacing and wording I want. Then I lay my muslin on top of the paper and put the two together in an 8" embroidery hoop to tighten it up. Then I plop the hoop over a 7½" round marble trivet that I have that gives the fabric a solid backing. After that, I just trace what I printed. Works for me. I have found that the slower I go, the better, and the thicker (at least 05) Pigma pens work better. I think the nibs of the finer ones get hung up on the fabric threads and skip.

I learned early on that I wasn't cut out to do them freehand! Maybe you could try signing your name with a Sharpie on a piece of paper and then tracing that onto the muslin?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:01 AM

don't use sharpies on anything that you want to preserve for many years. they are full of acid and will literally eat a hole thru your fabric or paper as they age. use only a pen that says "acid free" or "archivally" safe.