Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfect 1/4" Foot???

OK, ladies...I need some input here:

Have you found the "perfect" 1/4" foot for your piecing? Does one even exist???

Blog Entries
    I do have an exact 1/4" foot for my Janome, but the marking on the plate is exactly a "scant" 1/4" so I usually use that as my guide. I have to put a little stack of sticky notes next to them or I go off in all directions!!

usually only by luck does a 1/4" foot is perfect. usually have to move needle position or position of fabric to get perfect 1/4"

yes even tho my Janome 1/4" foot has a piece on it to keep you from going past the edge I can can not get qite close enough, or get it bunched up against it so I say "NO", there is no such thing, they all leave room for the operator to mess it up :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by retired2pa
    OK, ladies...I need some input here:

Have you found the "perfect" 1/4" foot for your piecing? Does one even exist???
    The foot that came with my Brother 1500 machine gives me a perfect 1/4" seam. When I put my blocks together, and measure the quilt, it comes to within 1/4" of what it should.
    I do stress that it works for me. Please keep in mind that what works for one, does not necessarily work for other.

Blog Entries
    My machine came with a 1/4th" foot & I've measured it several times & it's spot on. Having said that, I don't worry about my seams being exact as long as there's enough to sew even seams.I don't go under that size.Don't want to worry about them pulling apart.

Fabric thickness and thread weight affect the 1/4" seam. My Bernina foot is wonderful, but I always do a test as I sometimes have to bump the needle over a spot depending on these things. A 1/4" foot doesn't take these into consideration. You must gauge the fabric and thread thickness.

I was able to purchase a 1/4" foot for my Viking Saphire 830
    it has an edge on it for that it still is not perfect. I have to watch carefully that I do not allow the material to go under it or pull away from it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Fabric thickness and thread weight affect the 1/4" seam. My Bernina foot is wonderful, but I always do a test as I sometimes have to bump the needle over a spot depending on these things. A 1/4" foot doesn't take these into consideration. You must gauge the fabric and thread thickness.
    I love the Bernina 1/4" foot, but I too have to "fudge" the needle depending on the fabric and thread. I think this applies to all quarter-inch feet. I always sew a sample seam to get it just right.

OK...so what you're all saying is....

The foot may be perfect, but the operator isn't :)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast