Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The perfect block >

The perfect block

The perfect block

Old 12-30-2010, 04:01 AM

Funny you should ask that question. I have made my 2 eldest girls their 21st quilts and now my youngest is 19 and i am trying to think of one for her. I have already been through 4 designs which i though would be great for her, but one day whilst surfing this site i DID FIND THE PERFECT quilt. I have send away for the material and the book. She is going to love it. I am very relieved indeed i can tell you that. Taken me a year to find it.

I wish you good luck and it does not take you a year. You must also do something that you want to make i feel. That way, you will enjoy doing the quilt and it will not be a burden!!! :?
Old 12-30-2010, 04:39 AM

I think you should pick a really simple pattern (D9P, Turning Twenty, Yellow Brick Road) or something similar. Your colour choices will be striking enough without adding a complicated pattern. Too often lately, I've seen busy, interesting or beautiful fabric completely wasted because it has been cut into many pieces and the design has just been lost. You don't want an overall feeling of the design being muddled so let those fabrics do the talking.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:59 AM

Sometimes I'll flip through books & look at the names of different blocks/quilts. Often there is one that will relate to/describe the person.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
I think you should pick a really simple pattern (D9P, Turning Twenty, Yellow Brick Road) or something similar. Your colour choices will be striking enough without adding a complicated pattern. Too often lately, I've seen busy, interesting or beautiful fabric completely wasted because it has been cut into many pieces and the design has just been lost. You don't want an overall feeling of the design being muddled so let those fabrics do the talking.
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I completely agree with you. I have seen many D9P quilts and I have fallen in love with these. I'm thinking this block would work great with my fabric.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 AM

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. As a beginner quilter, I have found it hard to make decisions on the type of block(s) that would go great with the fabrics I choose.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Dix

Originally Posted by rebeccai
I recently purchased fabric (black & white, and purples) for a quilt that I want to make for my younger sister. The only problem is that I am having a hard time coming up with the perfect block(s) to use. :(

So my questions to you are:
1. How do you find the perfect block for that special person??
2. Have you ever had this problem?
3. Am I being too picky? LOL
Look at the pattern for the Warm Wishes Quilt