Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Perspective and opinions please >

Perspective and opinions please

Perspective and opinions please

Old 03-01-2016, 03:31 PM

Ginger, you are right. The lower railing does need to be moved down. Most of it will probably be trimmed but what is there should be angled like the top. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

it took me there in a heartbeat... very good.
just a thought for the composition maybe? how 'bout just the bottom of a palm frond hanging down into the picture at the left? but that's just my thought and not your picture... it really is good as it is.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:24 PM

It looks very nice as is. Truly! But I know when I ask for feedback, it's because I want suggestions not just for someone to tell me it's perfect as is. You could leave it & it's still a wonderful quilt. If you are asking because you want to change something, here's what I'd consider:
1) Add a second layer of the fringe fabric that isn't cut straight (the edge of the cabana isn't straight, it is cut in at angles, but more importantly, to give it depth, the right hand side after the post angles straight upward. That would help to represent the angle more realistically. I would try to tuck that under the existing fringe.
2) Adding in some shadowing would also help a bit. You can do that with applique, but it's not easy. A simpler way would be to use either ink (Inktense pencils or blocks) or fabric paint. Or if you're good at FMQ, you could add shadows with thread painting by using a dark brown thread & maybe a lighter brown/tan thread for the highlighting.

That said, you did a really nice job & if you don't do another thing to it, it still looks really nice.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:32 PM

I think it is perfect as is - after all it is your stylised interpretation of the photo - it doesn't have to be exactly the same. JMHO
Old 03-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

It is true to the picture except the post in the picture goes into the roof rather then behind it. Try putting the top of the post on top of the fringe and see if you like it better. Adding some thread painting when you quilt will allow you to add shades and shadows and that may make a difference too. Great seascape!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:20 PM

It looks very much like the original picture. I really like how you did it. As long as your quilt and the picture are close, I think it will be fine. I'd take it in a heartbeat. And I love the idea of the drinks sitting on the railing!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

wow!! amazing, so true to life. what a beautiful fabric painting you created!
Old 03-02-2016, 03:14 AM

Bree, you are right about the thatch. It should be more uneven. Also the shading of the poles is a great idea. After all I took a lot of care in creating the colors of the ocean and sky. It only makes sense not to have the rails and posts come out with more shading too.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:42 AM

Wonderful! If you want a bit more depth then the white (waves) could be reduced in size as they go toward the mountains as they form a line in the center that grabs your eye.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by glassnquilts View Post
This is a the photo of the cabana.
It's a beautiful picture and you've done a good job recreating it.
But look at the post (railing) on the right. It turns toward you. If you lay your ruler on the picture, you will see that at the right edge of the picture, that piece is wider than at the corner where it joins the other railing piece. That is called "perspective". That's what makes railroad tracks disappear in the distance. Make that railing piece wider at the right side and it will look like it is turned toward you. A half inch would make a difference.
And the bottom of the railing needs to be turned, too. That one should also be a little wider at the edge of the picture.
Keep up the good work. I see you are learning a lot doing this, and we are, too.